Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hercules Hybrid carrot

Posted by spartan-apple SE WI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 9:55

Every year I grow Royal Chantenay carrots as the soil in my
garden is very heavy clay. Composted horse manure (free at stable) has helped keep it loose and well drained but the soil is shallow. My yard is basically a terrace as the lot
is carved out of a hillside. Luckily the lot is near the top of the slope as water drains downhill.

This year I tried growing Hercules Hybrid carrot instead.
The flavor is excellent and the short stumpy carrots fit my
soil profile well. The color of the roots is a nice bright
orange. It is much improved in flavor and color over Royal
Chantenay.

The only bad news is that the carrot tops are super short!
I have never seen carrots with such short tops. I feed the tops (and some of the roots too) to my pet rabbit. This year she didnot get many tops.

I commend the the plant breeder who
introduced this hybrid carrot but will switch back to Royal
Chantenay for the future as I really need the tall tops.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hercules Hybrid carrot

Unsolicited advice: have you tried a raised bed?

I put one in for my carrots last year and it made all the difference.

o
RE: Hercules Hybrid carrot

The only way I have been successful with growing carrots is in a raised bed. Threw out the packet & can't remember the name, but I planted ones that are short, stubby carrots & can tolerate drought. The seeds were Ferry Morse seeds. Works great for me. I get everything from great big, fat carrots to little tiny, perfect carrots. All with big tops on them. We just got a rabbit this year and I am glad that he will get the tops. Before I just put them in the compost. My grandsons love to "pick" the carrots. So I wait for them to come harvest for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here