Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Cucumbers

saoodhashim
10 years ago

Hi

I live in Saudi Arabia (in a climate zone similar to 10b in USA) and a beginning gardener starting off with container gardening.

I have started cucumber seeds indoors and am about to plant them in their final containers outside as the seedlings seem ready (a few days of hardening off remaining). The temps in Saudi Arabia have relaxed a bit and now extend to only 90F highs. However by December the night lows may go to the levels of 45F. The late November temps will break below 60F and this downfall shall continue until late December / Early January after which the temps will start rising. Will the cucumber plant survive those temps? What can I do to help them survive that period. They are the vine variety and therefore may not be easily moveable.

Regards

Saood

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Cucumber vines only last for about 90 days, if they are not diseased. So they should be around roughly till the end of December. So you will have plenty of times to pick cucumbers. Probably starting by late October - early November they should have fruits. I would not expect them to be around in January, anyway. UNLESS they are of a variety, That are different.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks seyson

They are just 10 days old (since germinating) and they would fruit it another 20-25 days? Really?

Also what is the minimum night temp that they survive with ease? Is below 60F easy for the grown up plant?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

If your cucumbers are only 10 days old then you probably have another 40 days to wait for cukes, depending on variety.

The 45*F low temps aren't going to cause any problems so long as it warms up some during the day. The cool temperatures could possibly slow their flowering though. If it gets to be 40*F or below then you should worry.

Once cucumbers are planted, don't move them around. They don't like having their roots disturbed.

As seysonn already mentioned, cucumbers live and die quickly. The plants will burn themselves out after a short while, if diseases and pests don't take them out first.

Rodney

• seysonn
    10 years ago

FRUITING CUCUMBER
    In warm weather and good growing condition, you can have fruits in about 30 days(+/-). Cucumber from FLOWER to fruit takes about a week. It depend ,of course, how early or how late, at what size you pick them. I personally like them very young, and tender.

ONE MORE THING: cucumber plans like more water. After all its fruit is mostly water.

Now that you have stared your cukes in container(maybe because of heat) But cucurbitacea in general are direct sown. They are not transplant friendly, because they have big tap roots.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks All

Yes. I knew that they do not work well at transplanting. However, I wanted to give it a try, especially after getting some views that at the very beginning stage they may allow transplanting when the roots are not so developed. Anyways.

The real question now is what happened to the most strongest seedling even as it started to give the first true leaf, it just went from very bright green to almost dead (dull green) in a matter of 8 hours after I switched off those florescent lights.

Why could it have happened? Anything I might have done whcih I should avoid in the future?

The three seedlings standing in that pot - this one was the strongest. Just yesterday, I noticed that the stems of the other two were finding it difficult to keep standing and they were like starting to bow down. This one however was straight. The surface soil was too dry to touch and the weight of the pot was also very light. I watered the pot and then these two started to gain back strength and the stronger one started to show it first true leaf. This continues for 12-15 hours and then I switch off the lights and when I look at them early morning - the strongest is droopy (almost dead).

What could have gone wrong?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Color of leaves indicate the state of Nitrogen, in most case. I dark green like the one seen, tells me that the soil is rich in nitrogen and thus the plant get more thirsty. Just like us when we eat too salty food.

Drooping and getting leggy , and not being unable to stand up, is because of the lack of light. They need light as long as they are indoor. And the light source should be so close that they don't grow two high to reach it. But generally, it is very difficult to keep cucurbitacea indoors for two long. I rarely start them indoors and even do not like buying seedling from nurseries unless it is something special. Direct sowing is the simplest way to go.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Highly appreciate your responses.

Unfortunately that one just died. The stem was able to hold on, but the leaves just fell off just hanging on to the stem.

One of the other stem is also falling down and I dont know what to do. Outside the temps are too high for me to do planting.

The leaves are not crisp to suggest they are thirsty, infact they were very soft to the touch - very very soft. Was it a problem of under watering?

It seems I will try out outside. At the moment the daily highs reach 95F between 11 am to 3 pm. Is it ok to sow them outside now and shade them during the above time with a 50% cloth? Is it advisable to try or a waste of time? I thought the forecast temp graph on the link below will provide you with a much better picture of the present and forecaster weather situation over here.

I have some other tomatoes and pepper seedling also inside. I am waiting for their true leaves to come before I plant them in their final containers for outdoor world. How long does it take for the true leaves to emerge. It has been some time now (around a week but still no sign of true leaves).

Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dharan Saudi Arabia - 30 day Weather Forecast