Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merrybookwyrm

anyone currently growing micro greens?

merrybookwyrm
13 years ago

Is anyone currently growing microgreens? Just wondered, because I haven't heard anything about them in the past few years, and because I just bought an interesting book-- by Fionna Hill (spelling?)-- about growing microgreens in Great Britain.

Comments (8)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Well, unfortunately, no, due to lack of time. But, hey, what could be easier.

The good part about those is, anyone with a tiny bit of space, a couple of simple components, and seeds, can have a crop in a week or two.

Makes me feel lazy for NOT doing some of this stuff, but I already usually get into bed after 11 and get up by 5:30.

• CathyCA SoCal
    13 years ago

I planted some seeds on Oct 3. The seed mix is called Micro Greens Spicy Mix and contains sawtooth mustard, pepergrass cress, cabbage red acre, mustard red giant, and radish china rose. I am in California and am growing outdoors. They are coming up. The packages says to harvest at 1 - 2" and some are in that range. I picked a few tonight to sample and they have a pleasant spicy taste. They are also quite colorful. I wanted something easy and quick and they seem to be both.

• merrybookwyrm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. Some people report that lettuce works well, others mizuna. I'm glad to have your input, too!

• nancyjane_gardener
    13 years ago

I'm not quite sure what micro greens are, but guessing you're talking about different lettuces, yes.
    I sow mesclun mix about every 2-3 weeks. I can proudly say that I no longer need to buy lettuce at the grocery store!

• happyday
    13 years ago

Sounds like you are talking about sprouts. We used to make sprouts in a glass jar with cheesecloth over the top. Put the seeds in, cheesecloth on, rinse water through a couple times a day and pour out, then leave the jar in the window.

• ctmicrofarmer
    13 years ago

I've been growing micro greens since last spring. ItâÂÂs been hit or miss for me. I can get them to sprout OK but after that they seem to slow down and I wait weeks for second and third leaves to appear. ThatâÂÂs when I harvest them is when I see 2nd and 3rd leaves.

I have better luck with Bulls blood beets which are a hearty green that will grow in any kind of condition. However, the more delicate greens such as parsley and celery IâÂÂm having trouble with. They are taking weeks to grow instead of days.

I have a chef in town who is interested in the delicate greens but I just canâÂÂt get them to grow faster. Growing them outside this summer didnâÂÂt work because of the intense heat and crazy thunderstorms. Now IâÂÂm trying to grow them inside under lights. Another farmer told me greens donâÂÂt like to be warm and maybe the room IâÂÂm using is too warm.

Does anyone know what the best temperature is for growing micro greens? Is there a range?

What about lighting ��' what is the best distance for lights. Should they be lower (just above the tray) and turned on before they sprout ��' or should you wait until after they sprout and then turn on the lights to give it a little extra boost?

I havenâÂÂt been turning my lights on until after they have sprouted ��' IâÂÂm having mixed success on this. But the articles and books IâÂÂve read on this subject donâÂÂt say you need to have lights on to get them to sprout.

• ralleia
    13 years ago

What temperatures are you trying to grow them at? It's true that greens are a cool season crop. I googled to find the precise temperature, and Clemson U. says that lettuce prefers to grow at temperatures from 55 to 65 degrees F. I would think that 60F would be a reasonable compromise between the plants' growing preferences and the desire for quick growth.

The lighting depends on the type of lighting used. I prefer fluorescent tube shoplights on everything--brassicas, greens, nightshade seedlings, etc. They're inexpensive, readily available, and have a good lumen to watt ratio. It's also pretty much impossible to burn your plants. I hang them on chains from S-hooks and adjust them every day or so to make sure they're practically touching the leaves. Someday they'll make LEDs in the right red for plant growth, and then I'll switch over to those.

Some varieties of plants absolutely need light to germinate. I read that the light-seeded lettuces do, and you would have to undertake a complete researching of every type of green that you intend to grow to make sure that that variety doesn't need light. So I for one wouldn't go with no lights at all. Besides, unless you are very disciplined about checking them, there exists a good possibility that you will miss noticing that a few have germinated, and they'll be spindly weak little things searching in vain for a light source by the time that you hit the switch. Maybe you could compromise by leaving on just one bank of lights? It would make it easier to spot germination anyhow.

I wouldn't place the lights too close while trying to germinate. You'll be trying to have a good balance between warm but not too warm, and moist, but not damp to get the fastest possible germination. Everything germinates faster at warmer temperatures, ( 70 or 77 degrees, say), however the germination RATE of the cool-loving crops can drop precipitously at these temperatures.

For example, according to one source, spinach has a 96% germination rate at 41F, but takes 22.5 days to germinate at those temps. Raise the temperature to 77 degrees and you'll get germination in 5.1 days, but only 28% germination.

Parsley is simply slow-growing, and it is biennial, so I certainly wouldn't try growing it as an annual and harvesting the whole plant. Instead, I would have a permanent patch of them going and just harvest off the patch, allowing the individual plants to regrow continually. You don't have your climate zone information showing, but depending on your climate I would try to keep the parsley going outside. I have a permanent patch that seeds itself every year, and am working on establishing a patch in my greenhouse under double protection for winter use. They're one of the toughest of the cold-tolerant plants.

• theripetomatofarm
    9 years ago

It's funny reading this thread 4 years later and seeing people ask "what are micro greens?" Ha ha.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH