Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phillipa87

First batch of carrots

Phillipa87
9 years ago

Hey everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.
I have just pulled my first lot of carrots, they're purple ones but can't remember anything specific about the variety etc.

They've been in the ground for the alloted time and I spaced them out accordingly but they've come up pretty small and short.

I would like some honest opinions and advice please in regards to this lot and what I could do next year to help them out more.

Also are they still good to eat?

Thanks,

Phillipa

Comments (22)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Soil was too compacted or it was rocky would be my guesses. And yes, they are still fine to eat.

Make sure the soil is loose, deep, and free of rocks next year.

Rodney

• ju1234
    9 years ago

Is this not very early for carrots to be mature? What zone are you in?

• Deeby
    9 years ago

They're fine to eat, and the tops too if you like.

• Phillipa87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Hampshire, UK.
    I am aware that my garden ground is a bit rocky and clumpy but I did my best to remove excess rocks and mixed in some good quality compost before planting.

In regards to it being to early, I did read up that they are ok to plant all year round, so not sure on that one :-s

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Hi Phillipa. your carrots aren't early. They're actually nearly at the end of their season in the UK. They are quite tough to grow so you've done well to get any at all! I have real trouble with them in my clay soil. They prefer it, light and sandy. This is quite a good outline.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrots

• Phillipa87
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Floral_UK :)

I think what I'll do next year is dig out some of the current soil and try my hand at adjusting it with some sand + good fertilizing compost.

I appreciate all your comments, I have some basic knowledge of gardening as I used to do it all with my mum when I was little, but it's been a long time! :)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

I also have stony clay soil. What I did to grow carrots was make a raised bed and fill it with purchased soil, not the native clay. I also added some sand - not a lot. Then in fall I mix in organic matter.

• shayneca25
    9 years ago

First welcome to the forums.
    Carrots like loose soil. It appears from the picture that they were inhibited in their growth and were not able to grow down wards. Carrots like loose deep soil.

I would recommend for next years garden to uses rows. The height will generally determine the length of your carrots.

I posted a link to vid by Burpee Gardens. They have always been helpful in the past.

If you have another questions please let me know

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting carrots

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Purplesnax carrots

This was just a test pulling to see how they are doing. This is a new variety for me this fall.

This post was edited by jrslick on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 9:54

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

Carrot beds

These are the outside carrot beds. They will be covered with row cover when it starts getting cold. We are in this beautiful weather pattern of 40-50 at night and 70-75 during the day. They won't be covered anytime soon. There are 4 rows in each bed and each bed is 100 feet long. I also have two of my 16 by 32 movable high tunnel spaces with carrots planted there too. I have about 95-100 feet of purples, 60-65 feet of yellow and 350 feet of orange. Yes we sell at winter farmers markets.

Jay
    {{gwi:114947}}

This post was edited by jrslick on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 15:50

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

It is hard to fail with carrots when you grow them in a raised bed! We would highly recommend that you try it - we have been rewarded year after year with a great carrot crop - tons of carrots too!!

{{gwi:103220}}

{{gwi:114948}}

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Hudson, it's OK if you put them in the fridge ! : )

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Now that's cheating! The same picture over and over! LOL Nancy

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Hi Deborah - Actually - they make it to the freezer. We blanch/vacuum seal most of our carrots and put them in the freezer - they are awesome that way - taste so fresh and sweet all year long! The fridge/freezer is our friend! :)

Nancy - there is more than one way to show the quantity and quality of carrots we harvest every year - haha! I'll take the heat for the image rather than the improbable task of getting all of our carrot harvest together for one photo!

Also, have you noticed that I validate most of what I post with photos? No matter what I say in my post - the photos allow the reader to draw their own conclusion about the accuracy and relevance of what I post. I take the time to post photos because I appreciate others that take the time to post photos for my benefit - for the same reasons. I know you were just teasing me - haha - I just thought I would take the opportunity to encourage photos and to thank all those GW members that take the time and effort to post photos !!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

I was teasing you AND I would love to post pics if I could figure out how to do it!
    I've read many posts on how to do it, but haven't figured it out!
    I have been reluctant to put pics on my computer after my kids put HUNDREDS on the last computer and didn't name them!
    I actually take most pics with my android Samsung phone these days. I figured out how to post to facebook and to e-mails, but that's it.
    The Ya-just.....descriptions just go over my head! I don't know an up-load from a down-load! I need someone to come to my house and walk me through it! Write it down, do it 5x....THEN it will sit into my brainpan! Nancy

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Frozen, fridge'd, I love carrots !

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Hi Nancy - I wished you lived next door and I would walk over and show you - piece of cake once you get the hang of it. Try doing just one photo - take a photo - save it to you desktop - click "choose file" on the "Image file to upload (optional)" just above your user name on your post - select desktop - select the photo - and there you have it. It works - try it. If all else fails - have a teenager show you - they know what they are doing with electronics now a days - I knew you were teasing!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

How do I get it from the phone to the desktop? Or the Ipad?
    Actually, I got a new Ipad mini recently and I'm going to sign up for some free classes at Best Buy, so hopefully I'll "get it!" Nancy

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I send myself an email and then put the picture in Pictures, then upload. But I wonder if there's a higher tech way to do it?

• calliope
    9 years ago

I didn't catch the name of the variety carrot you are growing. Your picture looks exactly like some varieties are meant to look upon maturity, and they will not get longer or lager. If you bought carrots specifically bred for heavy, clay soil you may have started out with seeds for one of these. Please google carrots meant for heavy, clay soil. I have clay soil, have been improving it for three decades with my animal manures and other organic matter and still buy a 'half long' carrot, like Nantes half long or Danvers half long. They are bred to be short and stubby so that they mature without distortion from that type of soil. The variety to which I linked is Paris Market Baron. It looks very similar to the type carrot you produced. Nothing is cut in stone to say you must grow the long carrots, just because it is the one you're likely to buy in markets. It sometimes is easier to just plant a variety meant for your soils, than build raised beds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocus garending website.

This post was edited by calliope on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 19:20

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

Nancy - have a friend - neighbor - teenager - show you how to move a photo to your desktop - simple when someone shows you but more difficult if you try to follow written instructions. Good you are taking a class too!

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Hudson, my kids always do the "yajust" clickety clickety! I do need someone to come show me step by step, write it down do it 5x from the checklist, THEN and only then will it sit in my brain pan!
    I think I'll start heading to the 1 hour classes every Monday at Best Buy!
    I went to a ukulele festival today and one of the workshops was using the I-pad to collect, save and make folders of your music. About half of us old farts were getting wind burn from the info flying over our heads! (And I'm one of the younger ones at 58!) Nancy

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional