Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
radishes

Posted by ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 27, 09 at 10:42

Can someone tell me how to store radishes after picking,when you go to the grocer you can go to the veg. isle and grab some radishes and they look to be very fresh, but when picked from the garden,if you store in the frig, or if you leave on the kitchen counter the will wilt in just one day.What is the correct way to store?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: radishes

You can wash them, cut the tops off and put in a jar or bowl of water in the frig. This keeps them crispy for a few days but no longer than a week.

I grow them all winter long and just pick a few when I need them. If you are in a very cold area I would bet you can grow them in the winter with a little protection such as a fabric or cold frame?

o

Thank you Rudy, ill try that. I live in southeast Georgia, and i could probably plant until the spring.

o

When you grow them in your garden, just pull up as many as you need right away. Why store them?
To keep them fresher after harvesting, they need to be kept very cool and humid(to prevent drying).

o

• Posted by tomncath 9B(microclimate 10A) (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 7:22

I grow only icicles but after cleaning and croping them I put them in a ziploc and store them in the vegbetable crisper and they stay crisp for 3 weeks.

o

Hi,
Can I start growing radish now in my zone NJ-6 or is it too late? That is start from the seeds. Night temp is mid 40's and day temp is low to mid 60's.
Thanks in advance.
Anna

o

I store all my root crops (just like tomncath said) in a ziploc bag in the crisper. If you just leave them sitting in the fridge or anywhere else they will dry up, I would imagine the grocery store ones should do the same thing. Who knows though, I would hate to think of why they wouldn't.

o

with store radishes, I put them in a store bag along with a wet paper towel, twist the bag closed, and put them in the vegetable keeper in the fridge.no cleaning and greens attached....have had no problems with 7-10 days storage...

Michael

o

Fall Asian radishes--Daikon, Green Heart, Red Heart, etc--keep for weeks and weeks in the vegetable drawer of the fridge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here