Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtguy50

Would appreciate advise on covering a bed

Before I cover this area for strawberries I would appreciate any advise. The dome in the pic is about 3 feet from the ground level to the top of the dome. It will be covered with plastic for fall and early spring and then with netting later in the spring. Is there any advantage or disadvantage for this amount of space or should the dome be lowered to be more effective? I simple don't know what would be better. Thanks everyone.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It's probably higher than it needs to be but that might make it easier to get in there and do some work when you need to. Your garden is very pretty....looks efficient, too.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rhizo_1. I didn't know if too much space was a drawback or not. We are expecting a couple of frosty mornings this weekend and scrampling to see what and how to cover some things up. Appreciate it.

• another_buffalo
    11 years ago

Hey neighbor. Like you, I'm eyeing the weather forcast for the weekend. Sure hope it does rain, but 34degrees is scary. I dug the sweetpotatos, as frost is critical to them. And I put some sweetpotato leaves in the freezer.

My big concern is the peppers. I did bring a few in to overwinter, but my favorites are so full of fruit, I'm thinking to try and cover them rather than pull. Just wondering if the cover actually touches leaves, will it still provide protection?

We are always told that farming is a gamble...... Here's hopeing we make it through the weekend and enjoy the rest of October.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey back neighbor. Are you Carol by change? Just checked the forcast and they are saying down to 32 degrees one night this weekend. Agree that some rain would be nice but worried about the chill. I think you will be fine covering the peppers if the cover isn't against the fruit. I will use some sheets if I run out of floating row cover or low poly tunnels. Wish you luck my friend.

• another_buffalo
    11 years ago

Yup, its Carol
    I've got my new greenhouse pretty much ready for the winter, and plan to bring in more plants in pots. It just breaks my heart to part with these beautiful peppers because of one cold snap.

This was a summer I'm glad to have behind me though. Been feeding hay all summer to the buffalo. Hopefully will have enough to last through winter - we may get a little more hay cut yet. I'd even settle for snow right now, just for the moisture, even at the cost of my peppers......

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a light sprinkle of rain here right now and the radar shows more moisture down your way. Hope you get the rain before the cold air hits by Saturday morning. I did see so some people cutting hay yesterday, which was a good sign after watching every field burn up over the summer. Good luck with everything Carol.
    Keith

• another_buffalo
    11 years ago

Hey Keith
    Well, I didn't get enough rain to fill the rain barrel - maybe this week will be better..... And two nights below freezing. But the peppers came through just fine being covered. I brought one plant into the greenhouse, but had to trim it back and cut off over 50 peppers in doing so. Guess what I had for dinner.

• jonfrum
    11 years ago

A plastic cover will protect against a light frost, but heat radiates out of thin plastic quite fast. if it really goes below freezing and stays there all night, you'd need more cover to protect tender plants. This spring I had coathanger-hoops over single rows, and I had to put tarps over them when it got too cold. Just imagine what it would be like if you put the same sheet of plastic up as a replacement for a window in your house - you'd lose heat like crazy.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks jonfrum. The frost did get a little of the green beans on the edges. Will definately put some floating row cover over the plants before covering with plastic when it starts getting that cold again (which won't be too long). Since this is my first attempt at fall gardening, I am going to try a few small amounts of some vegs just to see how it works. I have plenty of seeds so experimenting a little will be a good learning experience. I did pull a few beets and radishes for tonight. Thanks again for the tip.