Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

Lean-to greenhouse project pics

lantanascape
11 years ago

My dad and I have been working all week on building this lean to greenhouse as an addition to my shop. I finally got fed up with my broken and battered Harbor Freight greenhouse and decided to build something more permanent that wouldn't be susceptible to a strong wind. This greenhouse is about 8x11' with a cinderblock foundation and 2x4 framing. So far we've roofed with corrugated PVC panels and will put either PVC panels or greenhouse film on the walls. It will have a 10.5'x28" raised bed along one side, and I've also got to mount shelves and build a potting bench and bring in crushed gravel for the flooring. So far I'm very happy with it, and can't wait to use it in the spring. We have some more photos of the building process that I will get uploaded later. Thanks for looking!

{{gwi:114994}}

{{gwi:114995}}

{{gwi:114996}}

Comments (10)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    11 years ago

It looks gorgeous. Please continue to post pics and I will make certain that my husband sees them...

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good looking structure. Great idea for the roof vent. What will you be using for the side walls? More of the corrugated or roll vinyl? Are you going to wire it for lights and fans?

The folks over on the Greenhouse forum here would love to see these pics too.

Dave

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

That looks very nice. I have 6 high tunnels and wish we had a small greenhouse types structure to start our plants in to get them out of our basement sooner. In our future plans we are going to build a garage/workshop/vegetable packing place and greenhouse. The greenhouse will be about 20 feet wide and run the length of the building. I am planning for it to be plastic covered.

Very nice!

Jay

• FruitCally
    11 years ago

Excellent job! Looks beautiful. Can't wait to see the completed greenhouse photos.

• lantanascape
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Digdirt, I keep going back and forth on what to use for the rest of the glazing. I have enough extra corrugated PVC to cover the lower half of the long wall, and just need 2 more 8' sheets to cover that side completely, but I might go with greenhouse film on the ends for now to save a little cash. The shop has electricity, so I plan to add an outlet eventually in case I need a fan or heat. Not sure about mounting an exhaust fan, but it's a possibility.

I will definitely post a more complete writeup on the greenhouse forum once everything's done, just thought I'd post it here since I frequent this forum the most!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

Looks wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished product. That corregated stuff is great. We made the roof on the chicken coop out of it and the hens laid right through winter without any need for extra lights. We did have to buy a bit of shadecloth for them for summer, but that was easy enough. I have been trying to convince my husband that we could build a handsome little greenhouse ourselves, so I will be showing him your pictures. Cheers!

• SoTX
    11 years ago

Very nice. You might consider wood chips for flooring if you're not trying for heat gain. I put down heavy landscape fabric first. No decomposition on the wood chips (chunks) with no direct ground contact. Only a thought since I wanted gravel, also--then looked at the number of wheelbarrow trips from gravel dump to greenhouse!

• lantanascape
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks SoTX! We actually have a bunch of white quartz landscaping rock in a big pile on the other side of the shop, so that is what I'll use. It was an eyesore in the front flower beds, but will work well for greenhouse flooring. I hadn't thought about the heat sink aspect, but that would be good motivation for digging the floor out by a couple inches and adding more rock (plus, that pile will shrink more and get out of my way).

Sunnibel, great idea using the clear roofing for your chooks. My coop gets too much shade in the summer as it is, my girls probably would have appreciated a clear roof (plus they can stargaze at night). Good luck working on hubby for the GH. My dad and I just started building while my DH was at work. Ask for forgiveness instead of permission, that's my motto!

• ozarkhighlandergal
    8 years ago

I'm wondering if you have any final pictures of the lean to greenhouse...and how you attached the frame to the cinderblocks! I'm looking to build a lean-to for my mom and your design is perfect! We just finished the screened in porch and have, I believe, enough supplies to build this - minus some screws, and the blocks.... I'd love to hear more about this now in 2015!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler