Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hurricanes a coming!

Posted by mclaughlindw4 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 11:41

I live in maine and am trying to decide if I should pick my brussel sprouts today. They could use more time in the ground but I don't want them to get destroyed.

Are other people harvesting before the storm? We are not gonna get the worst of it here in Maine but seems like it will still be a lot of wind and rain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hurricanes a coming!

I have had a couple hard frosts already so everything is inside except for the fall root veggies I planted.

o

I'm not harvesting before the storm on purpose. There should be widespread power outages. I don't want to try and keep anything in the frig. This way I can still pick things out of the garden to cook on the stove top daily and not worry about trying to keep them in the frig.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 18:45

Heavy rain should not affect the sprouts in any way. The longer they stay out there, the bigger the sprouts.

o

I would bring in stuff that can get blown over, like field corn.

o

Looks like things are really getting in motion out there...best of luck to everyone!

o

Over here on the western edge, it is very windy and cold with those northerly counterclock wise winds.

o

Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 23:39

Yes, Michigan too will skip Sandy, but I can believe that Sandy will stall over New England and dump one foot of rain. For about 36 hours starting yesterday we had a wind going west, presumably pushing Sandy into its slow motion track inland.

Walking home from work 4 hrs ago the wind (now about 40 mph) had rotated and was from the NE, but now it is N or NNW. Thanks goodness the World Series ended yesterday! With a high 20 wind chill and rain/snow, this is no night for baseball.

o

When the sun came up this morning I couldn't believe all of my tunnels were still intact. I put lash lines over them Sunday and I think roping them down went a long way toward holding them steady in 60 mph gusts.

The chickens haven't come out of the coop in two days, still blowing snow in the VA mountains. Maybe they are smarter than we think.

o

Here is a satellite view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hurricane Tuesday morning by satellite

o

Well, I think it blew the aphids off the kale. Don't know if that's really a reccommended IPM strategy, though. Could be th 5 inches of rain washed them off too...

o

Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 12:14

North wind for at least 12 hrs now, and I can see from Wayne's link that we are in fact under Sandy in Michigan, just not the rainy part, although it has rained a bit overnight with more to come. 1/2 inch though, or less, by the time we will be done.

o

Broccoli aheadin' up Brussels Sprouts almost ready to harvest and Curly Mustard greens tastin' good. Spinach on the way and lettuce still good. Maters harvested all, ditto peppers. Tater onions, (walking onion) tasty. Anyone else growing Miner's lettuce (Winter Purslane)? Sandy almost history, snow over the flowers and Life is good.

o

Yesterday and today have lightly rained nearly continuously with a cold norther;y wind. Wow, am I glad to see Sandy go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here