Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swiss chard tastes salty?

Posted by frdnicholas Albuquerque NM (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 11:53

I planted some chard plants back in July, which took off nicely, went to seed and reproduced plentifully. I just went out and tasted a leaf, and it was salty, almost like seaweed! I loved it as I love salty things, but is this unusual? I used to eat chard a long time ago, but I don't remember it tasting salty. Are there different types? Mine has dark green leaves with bright red stems. The leaves are about 10 inches long and 4-5 inches across. I know I'm probably supposed to pick them smaller, but didn't get to it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swiss chard tastes salty?

This is normal. Beets, of which Chard is but one variety, are HALOPHYTIC, which means they concentrate Sodium chloride in their tissue. Commercial sugar beet farmers actually spread rock salt on their fields to enhance growth. Asparagus and Land Seaweed are two other halophytic plants that I can remember. The salty taste would probably be more pronounced if grown in an area with naturally saline soils and lower rain, I would imagine.

o

i have noticed the salty taste in chard (and maybe arugula?) before but didn't know why-cool!

i am confused by the first post though, i thought chard was biennial?

o

Yes they are Biennial and don't produce flowers until the second season , even here in Southern CA.
And the Ruby Red Chard has more of a salty taste than the Fordhook Giant or the Winterby

o

over here(sub-tropics they are our winter crop planted late summer early autumn) one would be very lucky to get 2 years out of chard/silverbeet, we grow fordhook variety. i'll pay more attention the next meal i have of it which will be tonight as our plants are in prime right now just before their season ends (may be due to our drier hot long summers). have never had plants bolt they just get less than healthy looking and that is when i pull them. but would imagine also eating leaves from plants that have bolted could infuence the taste like in lettuce etc.,.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here