Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardev

Whats wrong with my cucumber seedling?

gardev
9 years ago

All my seedlings look like this.

They grew very slowly to this size then stopped and withered.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

This post was edited by gardev on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 12:40

Comments (7)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Well the brutal answer is 'It's dead'. As to why it's dead it's impossible to tell from the picture. It could be underwaterd, overwatered, overheated, frozen, attacked by a fungus or a combination of several factors. What is the mix it is in and has that pot got any holes for drainage? What do the roots look like? (It won't hurt it to pull it up - it's past any suffering.)

October seems a strange time to be starting cucumbers in Canada so my suggestion, harsh though it might appear, is to give up for now. Do some reading over the winter and start again at a more appropriate time.

• gardev
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Its an indoor setup. Lots of artificial light with some natural.

The mix it is in is Presidents Choice brand Black Earth. The little pot has a whole in the bottom with some pebbles for drainage.

I will have a look at the roots.

As a side note I'm surprised nobody told me to put it right-side up instead of sideways as in the picture :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Is the mix supposed to be used for containers or is it an outdoor soil....for lawns and gardens?

You need to evaluate your set up for humidity, circulation, moisture content, temperature, and more. We cannot help you with the little information provided.

We're used to seeing sideways and upside down images.

• ltilton
    9 years ago

If all your seedlings look like that, I'd investigate how something toxic could have gotten to them - something sprayed, something in the water, etc. Perhaps mites.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there arent many veg you are going to grow indoors.. under lights... it takes a lot more energy from sunshine ...

you need a proper MEDIA... potting MEDIA... not earth ...

MEDIA is all about water management ...

rocks in the bottom of a solo cup will not help ...

somehow or another... you killed the roots...

let us know what you find when you un pot them...

how far are the plants.. from the lights... 2 to 4 inches is proper ....

ken

• goodground
    9 years ago

Never tried it myself, but I don't think it's good practice to grow in clear cups. Can't tell from your pic if light can get in? I have always used the red/blue grocery store cups as they block light. I drill at least 6-10 holes on the bottom. If the soil drains well, there is no need for pebbles. Not familiar with your mix, but if you are using the one in the link below, it is not for containers. Clear cups with one hole filled with topsoil is a combo for failure. If so, time to go back to the drawing board.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Earth

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Please avoid the "drainage material" in the bottom. Contrary to popular opinion, it helps to retain moisture in the container.

As for sideways images, that's an issue with images taken w/ Apple products -- iPods, iPads and more.
    When the rest of us click such an image, it will come up in a new screen and be both larger and upright.