Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amymanning_gw

Is there such a thing as indeterminate and determinate potato var

amymanning
13 years ago

Harvested my potatoes yesterday and noticed that there were big differences in the way that different varieties grew. Some potatoes grew straight up the vine, all the way up to the soil line, even after hilling them up two feet! Others grew laterally, and the hilling didn't seem to make as much of a difference to them. I'm on a mission to find out if there really is such a thing. Knowledge as to which varieties are which could be highly useful to the home gardener.

Can anyone on this forum shed light on the issue? I've posted this question on several forums as well as on my blog. Feel free to share information with me here or on my blog.

Any information I find will be posted in the comments section on the post. So if you would like to be notified when I find more information leave a comment on the blog and make sure to check the box that says to email you with new comments.

http://amysoddities.blogspot.com/2010/10/is-there-such-thing-as-indeterminate.html

Comments (16)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Growth patterns of a modified root to the vertical or horizontal is independent of whether a plant apical meristem has a terminal bud that ceases to grow due to expression of certain growth hormones.

Dan

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

No there is no such thing. Potatoes may be re;ated to tomatoes--the same family-- but there the resemblance stops.

A potato will grow as that particular variety dictates and that;s all there is to it.

• bobb_grow
    13 years ago

I don't know whether or not you are correct, oilpainter, about the use of the terms 'indeterminate' or 'determinate.'

But I believe that the original poster asks a valid question; do some potato varieties set potatoes up along their stems while some just set them in one level lower down?

I have heard that late varieties such as fingerling and some of the red potatoes do set their potatoes over a longer period along a longer stretch of stem.

I would find it helpful to know if people have observed that.

Thanks

Bob

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Tom Wagner can answer your question on his place.

To expand a bit on your observation, some potatoes make 5 or 6 close set stolons off the main stem which then terminate in potatoes that can get relatively large because there are so few of them.

Other varieties grow over a longer season and can set potatoes further up the stem by producing new stolons typically up to a foot above the first stolons to form. These also tend to produce some relatively large potatoes and quite a few smaller spuds.

My favorite variety, Azul Toro, sets 5 to 8 stolons which then branch heavily to produce up to 40 spuds per plant. The only problem is that they are relatively small because there are so many of them. Even so, I've had several that weighed 12 ounces up to a pound with typical yields of 3 to 5 pounds per plant.

tatermater.proboards.com

DarJones

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Bobb, how the tubers grow underground has nothing to do with 'determinate' or 'indeterminate', as those are botanical terms with precise meanings. I do not know if there is a term for patterns of growth of potatoes, but I suspect the Peruvians have at least a colloquial one.

Dan

• ljpother
    13 years ago

Whether the correct term is determinate or indeterminate, different varieties of potato grow differently. So, answering the question. Reports from those growing potatoes in bins describe early varieties producing potatoes in a single layer and later varieties producing in a more distributed manner.

• maryloutrice
    11 years ago

I am glad to find the info that jonfrum posted about determinate/indeterminate potatoes and the results of mounding up each type.
    The first time I planted potatoes I planted red LaSota (sp?). Did not mound them up. Got about 50 lbs.
    This year planted red Norland. Mounded them up 'till I was red in the face and down in the back. Got about 41 lbs; all down toward the bottom of the mound!!!

Was thinking of putting them in a tower next year. Now I know WHAT NOT to put in a tower. I need to do some research and find some late season potatoes to order.
    Any recommendations? I live in central TX.

• woodprairie
    8 years ago

Does anyone else have experience on which potatoes keep forming stolons up the stem in a container?

Fingerlings form tubers in a necklace along the same stolon. Reddale is one that makes 4 tubers and then stops, generally. Elba is a variety that performed well in the Gardener's Supply trials: growing potatoes in a container. But I wasn't in on that research, so I don't know much about it. Thanks everybody! Megan

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Elba is a late season variety so should do well in your containers.

The terms determinate and indeterminate are not commonly used in association with potatoes. They are only really of value when it comes to container growing vs. inground growing (the far more common practice). That, container growing, is where you will normally see the distinction/label being used.

By far the more common label is early season vs. late season as most early season varieties just happen to have determinate growth patterns while most late season have more of an indeterminate growth pattern - stolons develop up the stem.

Late season varieties include German Butterball, Red Pontiac, Elba, Green Mountain, and a couple of russets (can't recall specific names). Just Google late season potato varieties.

Dave

• maryloutrice
    8 years ago

I have found that Red Pontiac, Bintje, and Early Ohio have stolons that develop up the stem. Red Pontiac is a late season variety; Bintje is a middle-early ripening variety and Early Ohio produces potatoes early in the season (60 - 80 days).

In order for stolons to develop all the way up the stem it is very important to NOT allow the stem to break through the ground any more than just a smidgen until hilling is complete. I often plant these potatoes in the bottom of a tower and right away fill the tower to the top with soil.

Not all late season varieties develop stolons up the stem.

• woodprairie
    8 years ago

Thanks, Megan

• woodprairie
    8 years ago

How deep is your tower? I am suprised the potatoes find the energy to come all the way to the top without being able to gather energy from the sunlight partway up. When we hill, we are careful not to cover more than 1/3 of the plant. But it sounds like an experiment is in order.

• deanna1364
    6 years ago

I discovered a great you tube video by Hollis & Nancy's Homestead. Hollis explains it in very easy to understand drawing. Its called HD How To Grow Potatoes in Containers (Part 3 of 3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9s4feiZqLo

Enjoy!

• Hannah Cbus (5b/6a)
    6 years ago

deanna1364- That is one of the best resources I've ever seen on gardening. Thank you so much for sending me in that direction!

• deanna1364
    6 years ago

Your very welcome. I like passing on great info. I felt like I'd tripped on a gold mind when I found it.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting