Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Gardening! In the 40s tonight -Its the best.

Posted by rayinpenn 6 (RayMills@ThePrudentGardener.com) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 12:37

First really cold expected tonight here in Southeastern Pennsylvania in the 40s - pretty chilly last night too.
I expect it will be the end of my sungold tomatoes in the unheated greenhouse.
I had hoped to sneak in a few tomatoes but I guess that wasnt realistic.

I believe these stoves cost about 30 cents and hour to run. It was the best investment I ever made.
It heats the whole house and the heat is in the room with you.

It is a comfy spot to read my gardening magazines, seed catelogs and surf the web.

I know you are jealous of my pjs!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Gardening! In the 40s tonight -Its the best.

This comes from a shop that sells stoves;

"Burning standard purchased and delivered hardwood in an EPA certified 75% efficient wood stove or fireplace the cost per hour of burn totaled out to 53 cents per hour. Heating with Natural gas in a 30,000 BTU gas stove, fireplace, or insert totaled out to 30 cents per hour. A pellet stove or insert was approx 59 cents per hour (pellet stove was approx based on the electrical requirement to operate)."

o

I have to agree with Ray - there is nothing quite as comfee as a fireplace. And if you have your own wood, it is pretty cheap. I have to buy from a friend, but at least it keeps energy costs in the local economy and is sustainable.

But Ray, check out my little greenhouse. Even after a freezing night, by mid morning it is in the 70's and climbing. Window fans circulate the excess heat into the house so that it is not wasted. And its a great place to relax with a good book. No TV or computers allowed. :)

o
A comfy spot

Wow what great spot! I am going to winterized the greenhouse a close all the air and see if that helps hold the heat a little better.

Here is a link that might be useful: my gardening journal

o
More than a comfy spot..

Sorry for the typos... I am going to close all the air leaks and see if that helps.

o

I put in a small oil filled radiator (costs around $60 on Amazon)that has been inexpensive and effective to operate. It kept cukes, tomatos, and peppers going all last winter.

This year, I'll keep me going in there all winter in the sunshine.

o

Definitely excellent pjs!
Having our 5th frost this week, so I'm jealous of your 40s. Still, the greens are doing great.

o

• Posted by lolauren 7 - WA State/Desert (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 19:59

If it makes you feel better, we've had about 5 or 6 frosts and my Sungold has barely been bothered. :) (It is VERY tall, so that might help it stay warmer.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here