Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gallery725

Tomatillos tons of flowers... No fruit?

gallery725
10 years ago

Hi!!
We are in North Florida, about a mile away from beach. In July we started tomatillo seeds. We researched before starting seeds & saw they like to pollinate off of each other. We have 12 plants which have been flowering for about 6 weeks. NONE of the flowers have held. Which isn't surprising for August heat but now we we've had almost a month if cooler nights (70's) & they still are not doing anything! Not sure if they are more sensitive to the salt air than most but we have more than 400 plants & none seem bothered with it.

Our garden is in containers. Soil is a mixture of Jungle Grow, mushroom & cow compost. We have fertilized them with Happy Frog 7-4-5, Happy Frog 0-5-0 and Super Thrive. The plant doesn't appear to have nutrient problems, they look happy but are more spindly than bushy. Each plant currently has dozens of flowers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

Comments (12)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Tomtil's need insect visiting activity moreso than almost any of the garden nightshades (along with "ground cherries"). If you're not seeing bee/insect/etc activity on those flowers, they're probably not going to set well.

It's not uncommon to see Tomtil's flower like crazy for weeks and only "take" when the insects finally discover and pollinate them.

There's also temperature/humidity considerations, but Sept/Oct in north FL, that shouldn't be a pressing issue.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

This discussion has come up time and time again, that tomatillo has to have girlfriend or boyfriend to fruit, needs to have visiting insect ... But none is true and I have proven that to be not true(to myself) more than once but twice.

Just this season I planted one Tomatillo plant. It kept growing and blooming but no flowers. There had been enough bees (various kinds) but no results. Come September, it suddenly got loaded with husks. It is actually live and well right now. I will take a picture tomorrow. But the husk will not have a chance to get filled because of cool/cold anyway.

I have com to conclusion that Tomatillo is day length sensitive. Or at least the strain that I have(mexican strain) is. Our summer days here at the PNW being over 16 hours was not just right. So when by September the day length got close to 12 hours flowers started setting fruits. Now all my tomatoes are dead and gone but the tomatillo is the happiest of everything in the garden. At first I was suspecting our not so hot weather but that was not the case.

And one more Thing: we did not have any high temperature, high humidity,The amount sun has been the same ... it kept blooming non-stop from early on. there was no lack of insect problem/. The flowers did not drop. They lasted for days but just did not set fruit. Now maybe it has 200 husks.

• gallery725
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much guys! I am going to try repoting them today. We experimented with container size, some are in 3 gallon pots & some in 5 gallon. I did put 3 plants in the 5 gallons so I will move them to a 10 gallon and see what happens.
    We have a lot of bees in the garden but honestly I think they love the Tahitian Squash & weren't paying much attention to the tomatillos... I will move them closer to the bee habitat, reorienting them in the process.
    It's also possible that now we will have a couple months of non scorching temps they will take off like we want them to?
    Your guidance is much appreciated! I will keep you posted!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

OK. As I said, my tomatillo plant kept flowering all summer long not did not set any husks/fruits. As of early September, when the day length approached 12 hours it suddenly burst into husks.
    So, the belief that you have to have more than one plant is not true. I have challenged that once more in the past and have proven that to be wrong. At least to myself.

Here is a close up picture

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

You don't have to have more than 1 plant...your chance of pollination goes up greatly with more than 1 plant, though.

They are entirely fruitful on their own, especially with visiting insects, but more plants give more open flowers and more of a chance for pollination by visitors.

There's a bit of a misconception about tomtils that they're self-incompatible for pollination...but closer to the truth is that your chances of fruits taking goes up considerably with multiple plants.

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

nc-crn,
    Are ground cherries also finicky this way? I'd like to grow some in a high tunnel next year. They grow fine outdoors but I'd like to get some earlier yields by putting them in a tunnel. I suppose I can't do that if they are dependent on bees.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Ground cherries are considered notoriously picky fruit setters, too.

They do have a good reputation for being acclimated to cooler climates, though. It's not like they're cold climate plants, but they seem to set fruit well in cooler temperatures compared to a lot of Solanaceae.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 20:24

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

Yeah they were just fabulous this year. I had them planted next to a hay field, and the patch was buzzing with bumble bees all summer long. But I got a relatively narrow harvest season from mid August to late September.

• gallery725
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, your tomatillos look much happier than ours!! Of course it's been raining for days so I haven't had a chance to repot mine... Are yours in the ground? Anyone having luck in containers?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

MidnightG .... yes mine is in the ground . It is huge. Too bad, it started too late. . BUT i will let'm live till frost.

• HU-517193043
    3 years ago

Tomatillos are pollinated by bees and other insects that move from flower to flower. When temperatures or humidity are extremely high, the pollen adheres to the inside of the flower, making pollination difficult. ... Tomatillo plants aren't good self-pollinators.