Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyinsandiego

A solitary grasshopper...

sunnyinsandiego
10 years ago

For the past few weeks, I've seen a grasshopper (yep, just one) hanging out in my jalapeno pepper plants. It's doing pretty well, and seems to be growing... but nothing in my garden is getting eaten! Except the cauliflower, but that was from cabbage worms and a Bt spray took care of them. So what would you do... leave it? Or assume it's going to do damage that I just haven't seen yet and I need to get rid of it?

I must be a softie...

Comments (12)

• wolverine1012
    10 years ago

Live and let live if it's not harming anything.

• uscjusto
    10 years ago

I found a solitary grasshopper in my raised bed and killed it based on their reputation of devouring plants.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Maybe we've got different grasshoppers here in Michigan but I see lots of grasshoppers every year and never see them cause any damage. But then I've also got lots of grass and weeds they can eat plus plenty of spiders and mantises to keep their populations from exploding.

Rodney

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Unless it is a starving elephant, one of anything is unlikely to eat enough to harm your garden all that much. :)

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

Grasshopper is one of the rare insect type that can evolve without going in pupa stage and long after its basic shape is determined. For most insects to grow wings they have to go into pupa stage but not grasshopper. It is quite an awesome insect really if not for its plant eating habit.

• raistlyn
    10 years ago

Unless proven guilty, I usually give unknown insects the benefit of the doubt that they are innocent... but once they are proven guilty, thats a different story.

I'd leave it alone if its not doing any harm.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Depends on the pest. Squash bugs are guilty on sight.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Here, squash bugs and grasshoppers are automatically guilty. There is no way I will ever get them all but if there is one, there is likely someone nearby for the grasshopper to mate with. In my area, grasshoppers are a huge problem them, especially in the fall when they eat any new, tender growth. They get into the low tunnels where I try to start fall plants and eat all of the newly emerged seedlings. For me, they are definitely guitly on sight.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Ceth....lots of insects skip the pupal stage....it's called incomplete metamorphosis. It's quite simple ; these insects simply change a little bit everytime they shed their exoskeleton. It's only at the final instar that their wings and sex organs are fully formed.

Examples of insects that undergo incomplete metamorphosis include grasshoppers, crickets, katydids, earwigs, cockroaches, the true bugs (stink bugs and all of their kin), and many more.

Sunny, seeing ONE grasshopper is cause for celebration! I'd just leave it alone and let it become food for a bird, toad, snake, squirrel, mantis, or dragonfly.

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

Thank you rhizo for the info. I really appreciate it.

• sunnyinsandiego
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The grasshopper lives :-) Still hanging out in my pepper plant, which I thought for sure would be spent by now but continues to pump out more jalapenos than we will ever, ever eat... Perhaps this particular grasshopper is a lucky one?!?

• sunnyinsandiego
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The grasshopper lives :-) Still hanging out in my pepper plant, which I thought for sure would be spent by now but continues to pump out more jalapenos than we will ever, ever eat... Perhaps this particular grasshopper is a lucky one?!?