Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Saved seed from hybrid, Merit corn. I can't tell a differance.

I saved some seed from my Merit corn last year planning an experiment. I have just started harvesting it.

I planted it late, mid July not expecting much. I wanted to make sure the other corn didn't pollinate it.

It didn't get very tall but produced a good crop, nice size ears, about 2/3rd's the size of new seeds, two per stalk. They filled out very good, I didn't expect that with the heat and humidity.

I can't tell any taste difference at all. Which I know that Merit isn't one of the sweeter corns, but I'm not fond of really sweet corn anyway. I grew up eating field corn!

I saved seed from the very expensive Merit again and I plan to save the seed from this corn also. I don't think I will be buying new seed next spring.

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I think some of the so-called HYBRIDS are just hypes to sell few seeds corn seeds for outrageous price. I am not saying every hybrid is like that.

Then, when they create a hybrid , the cross two decent variety to get the third one. So if you save seeds from hybrid, it might revert to one of its parents. Chances are that it might revert to both of them. In either case you will get some decent crop.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

Aren't here are many reasons for hybridization? You should not necessary expect to ''see'' them all. For example, if the hybridization is for disease resistance and that disease is not endemic to your area you may not see anything.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Concur: Most modern hybrids are from inbred breeding lines. Most hybrids will produce viable crops in subsequent generations. It is consistency and uniformity that is lost. Very important to a commercial grower, whose income is dependent on uniform and heavy production, much less so to a home gardener.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Uniformity is the big selling point with hybrids.

You may get the genetic benefits from saved seed, you may not. If you're planting many acres you're a lot more likely to see variation.

That said, Merit is a rather old-ish hybrid bred for easy silk and husk removal moreso than traits like disease resistance, high production, or special kernel/taste characteristics.

You might find variation in following years or it might be stable (or mostly stable).

• Deeby
    10 years ago

What's field corn? Corn that tastes like corn? Our stores here sell only white sweet corn.
    I sure miss a good yellow corn on the cob slathered in butter and salt.
    The only way to get yellow is to buy the frozen. I don't have space to grow it BUT next year I want to try the new patio corn from Burpee.

• planatus
    10 years ago

Interesting. You have chosen the perfect variety to work with, because although Merit was bred by Asgrow and released in 1961, it is now owned by Monsanto. A re-selected strain will take a few years, but if you start growing a few plants just for seed and select for top characteristics, you can do it. Merit is a Golden Bantam type, most likely hybridized for earliness and rust resistance. Several seed companies sell improved strains of Golden Bantam, so you could even do your own crossing by interplanting the two varieties. Good luck!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    10 years ago

As stated already, uniformity is important to many growers. I have planted an op yellow meal corn that has some stalks pollinating 2 or 3 weeks before the last ones. I had a very nice acorn squash volunteer that produced nice ones the next year, but since then things have deteriated into orange ones and long bullet shaped ones.