Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatillos and Frost

Posted by tishtoshnm 6/NM (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 14:33

This year on a whim I purchased a tomatillo plant to try. It was slow to get going but now it has gone gangbusters and has many fruit on it, but they are small. There is a chance of frost soon and I need to know how sensitive they are? Most of the fruits are not full size yet, can I still pick them? Do you think a plastic cover will help? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatillos and Frost

You should never use plastic to cover a plant. Use a blanket or a sheet and tie it so it doesn't get blown off. I grew one from seed this year. I found out later you need to to get them to fruit. They look like they would be very sensitive to frost. Is this a normal time for you to get frost? We don't get frost until November. We make a small make shift greenhouse and installed an old electric heater to save our Golden Jubilee tomatoes. It worked. It was only a little taller than the plants. I saved corn one year by covering them with blankets. Tomatillos seem like they would need more than that.

o

Perhaps I should have noted, plastic supported by #9 wires, kind-of like a mini greenhouse. The forecast is actually for 34 degrees but it is a new garden and I am not familiar with where all of the cold zones are, yet.

o

Zackey, I also thought you needed two to get fruit. I had read that both ways were true.
Alas! I had a volunteer show up this year (3 years after I had a plant with very little fruit) and it is LOADED with fruit! Ya never know!!!! Nancy

o

I have had tomatillos survive light frosts quite well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here