Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottom leaves of collards turning yellow

Posted by ka0ttic zone 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 14:41

I planted some collard seedlings in containers late September and they were doing pretty good for the most part but I've noticed the last week or two the older bottom leaves keep turning yellow/brown and dying. I've been fertilizing them with a diluted 5-1-1 fish emulsion (1Tbsp/gal) about every two weeks.

After searching through the forums for a bit, I found one post saying yellowing bottom leaves means N deficiency and another post saying too much N so I'm a bit confused there.

There are two pictures below. First one taken 10/13 and looks pretty good. I've since removed the mulch after finding what looked like termites under the mulch of my loan tomato plant. The second one was taken today (10/29) and you can see the yellowing bottom leaves. Maybe because I removed the mulch they're not consistently staying wet?

10/13
 photo 2013-10-13155343_zps929636e5.jpg

10/29
 photo 2013-10-29142400_zpsd42b7959.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottom leaves of collards turning yellow

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 16:40

In part it is normal for the older bottom leaves to die and fall off. But is usually with much older plants than these appear to be.

Over-watering/overly wet soil is the most common cause of yellowing such as in your picture.

Excess N may cause a similar condition when very high N fertilizers are used but your fertilizer is not high N. Plus with excess N the younger leaves would be very dark green - yours are not - and here would be green veins in the yellow leaves - yours are not.

Too little N would show up most in the new leaves as yellowing.

So consider it a possible over-water issue. Excess rain? How often are you watering?

Dave

o
RE: bottom leaves of collards turning yellow

They were staying kind of wet with the mulch on there and that's another reason I took the mulch off. I was worried about them staying too wet and not getting enough oxygen.

When the mulch was still there, I was watering maybe 2x a week. I took the mulch off about 2 weeks ago and the combination of that and us finally getting cooler/drier air here in central FL, I've been watering probably every other day when needed (if i stuck my finger in and felt dry).

Very possible they were staying too wet with the mulch but I've been careful not to overwater them since taking the mulch off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here