Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hothabanerolady

Next year's grow list?

HotHabaneroLady
10 years ago

I was just wondering if people have started to plan what they will grow next year. If so, what are people planning? It's time for me to be getting and giving some ideas. :)

Here is my list:

Mortgage lifter tomato (new variety from last year, replacing bistro hybrid)
A yellow tomato (variety to be determined, but I'm thinking about trying the Azyochka variety)

Bell Pepper (this year I have red knight and King Arthur bells, but I am thinking of replacing them with California Wonder and/or Orange King bells)
Orange habanero peppers (about ten plants over wintered from this year)
Carribean red habaneros (about 2-4 plants to supplement the orange ones)
Tabasco peppers (new plant)

Ozark beauty strawberries (continued from this year)
Fuji & Granny Smith apples (continued from this year)
Earliblue and bluecrop blueberries (continued from this year)
Georgia belle peach (continued from this year)

Wild rocket arugula (continued from this year)
Bloomsdale long standing spinach (continued from this year)

Greek oregano (continued from this year)
Hot spicy oregano (continued from this year)
Genovese basil (continued from this year)
Pesto perpetuo basil (new, but I just found one for a very low price so it's growing right now!)
Dill (exact variety TBD)
Rosemary (continued from this year)
Purple leaf sage (continued from this year)
Chocolate mint (new)
German thyme (continued from this year)

I'm thinking of eliminating my broccoli, carrots, stevia, and cilantro.

What are other people thinking of growing?

Angie

Comments (8)

• sunnyinsandiego
    10 years ago

This past season I did three types of tomatoes -- Yellow Brandywine, Morning Sun cherry, and Amish Paste. I'll do the Morning Sun and Amish paste again but definitely not the yellow brandywine. Huge vines, almost no fruit... not worth the space. Might try another slicer to replace the Brandywines.

Tam's Jalapenos: won't quit, so will be a repeat for sure.

Eggplant: Japanese White Egg did decently well, but I might try a few long varieties like Ichiban next year instead.

Squash: Bennings Green Tint is now doing well after suffering all summer, so I might give that a go again but as a late planting. Want to do a lot more squash next year, both summer and winter types. And maybe some pumpkins, if I have the space.

Corn: Not a repeat for me.

Beans: For some reason, I have never been able to grow a decent crop of green beans. But we eat so much of them, I refuse to give up -- so am going to be trying a few different varieties, both bush and pole, again.

Basil: I grow this every year and try to have enough pesto frozen to last us year-round... yum...

Strawberries: Already have Sequoia (did fairly well) and Quinault (meh), will be transplanting the Sequoia runners and maybe adding some Seascape to see how they do

Flowers: Cosmos, marigolds, nasturtiums, calendula

New things I'm planning to try growing: sunflowers and tomatillos

How fun!!!

• DragonFlyTx
    10 years ago

Tomatos: Red Siberian, Ace, and supersweet 100

Okra Clemson Spineless 80

Cucumbers Homemade pickles and Spacemaster

Pepper California Wonder

Bean Contender

Corn Golden Bantam 8 Row and Peaches & Cream

Watermelon Sugar baby

Cantaloupe Hale's Best Jumbo

Onion Tokyo Lone White, Flat of Italy and Yellow Granex

Basil Custom Blend

Chives Common

Cilantro Long Standing

Sage Broadleaf

Thyme English

Parsley Moss Curled

Rosemary

Pumkin Jack O Lantern

Summer Squash Early Prolific Straightneck, Black Beauty Zucchini

Winter Squash Delicata Honey Boat and Vegtable Spaghetti

Chamole German

Lemon Balm.

Brocccoli Di Cicco

Alfalfa sprouts

Plus I am in plans to purchasing two cherry trees and a peach tree.
    Also growing Black berries next year.

• arwen2
    10 years ago

Today we just put in a new raised bed so that I can try goji berries.
    New for me next year will also be mouse melons.
    This year was a big experimental year for me - red kuri squash, tomatillos, ground cherries, Jerusalem artichokes, long beans, luffas and sweet potatoes. All performed well beyond my expectations, so all will be repeated. I imagine some will be repeated whether I want them or not!
    Gone are corn and kohlrabi. Hubby can't eat corn, so it is more efficient for me to buy the occasional cob for myself. Kohlrabi has always been a disappointment. But more heirloom tomatoes and hot peppers.
    However I am still on the lookout for new and exciting veggies to try!

• DragonFlyTx
    10 years ago

This year was experimental for me as well. I started a fall crop growing two types of lettuce, spinach, two different carrots, and Broccoli.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

yeah ! Not a good year.

TOMATOES:
    I will not grow Brandywine and Black Kirim again. BW was too late with too few fruits that didn't even ripen. BK, kept cracking and rotting and flavor was not that good. AND both of them were HUGE, too much foliage . I couldn't keep up with pruning.

So far I have seeds for: SUNGOLD, GREEN ZEBRA, PINEAPPLE, PERSIMMON . I am going to get STUPICE . I will buy Mortgage Lifter seedling and Early Girl. EG did do very well. I need to search into few good DETERMINANTS. Any suggestions ?
    Most INDETS are just uncontrollable. Too much foliage for too little fruits.

PEPPERS:
    I am loaded with seeds. Mostly I will plant them in 2 gal.pots. (Not enough garden space.) I have several ornamentals. Then I will have: Pepperoncini, Shishito, Chilaca, Cascabel, Manzano, Cubanelle, Fresno, Thai. Habanero and Serrano. And maybe few more small ones.

NO MORE SQUASH. no more cabbage. Will grow CUKESThen of course normal herbs etc. Some are already in place as perennials.

• lantanascape
    10 years ago

Mostly I want more of everything next year. Luckily, I'll have more area to press into production, adding another large raised bed and taking over an area that gets too much sun to maintain sod grass in this dry climate. I've put lots of the varieties I want to grow on my Pinterest board, which I'm linking below. The only thing I MIGHT grow less of, is Swish Chard, but then, I love having the multiple colors to mix and match, so maybe not. More cabbage, more okra, more broccoli, more bell peppers, more large eggplants The only thing I will probably do less of is the mid-hot peppers, like the bajios and pasillas. They just weren't very productive, and I'd just as soon get some Hatch green chiles in large quantity from a place that has the perfect terroir for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Garden Plan

• HotHabaneroLady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those purple majesty potatoes look amazing! Like something from another world!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

We grew a new-to-us variety of squash this year called "Dinosaur Eggs". They don't get very big but boy, are they prolific, even in the awful weather we had this year. Most everything else went belly-up but these guys are STILL producing! So they are on the must-grow list for next year.
    The rest of my grow-again list is:
    Magda squash - not quite as prolific as DE but still outperformed zucchini and straightneck yellow (those 2 are out)
    Peas - Now or Later. We were super impressed with both production and taste
    Swiss Chard - Bright Lights. Love the flavor and the colors.
    Basil - Nufar and Lettuce Leaf. One for cooking and the other for just what it sounds like. It is SUPER on sandwiches.
    Parsley, both curly and Italian
    Lettuce - any of the mixed packages. I love the different colors and textures.
    Tomatoes - Estler's Mortgage Lifter, SunSugar and Black Cherry, not sure about what other varieties. Had a horrible tomato year this year so I didn't get to save any seeds for anything except the SS. All the ones in the garden died, but this volunteer came up IN THE DRIVEWAY (which is mixed gravel and sand, not concrete). It was very small but very healthy and determined to produce so I figure if it was strong enough to survive where it did, hopefully it will do well next year in a better location. I have about 2 dozen seeds I saved from it.
    Beans - bush - either Top Crop or Contender; runner - Scarlet. We grew the Scarlet Runners more or less just for fun because we'd never grown pole beans before. I only planted 12 seeds along the fence but we got beans for several meals just from those 12 plants. In fact, it is still blooming! I think I will also try some Kentucky Wonders for taste comparison.
    Corn - but probably a different variety than what we tried this year. Probably Peaches & Cream.
    Peppers - Banana, and bell, just not sure what varieties yet.

On my no-more list are cabbage, broccoli, melons, beets and carrots. None of those have done well in the last few years and I am not going to waste real estate on them any more.

As far as new things, I'm not sure yet. I am sure, however, that when the catalogs start rolling in in the next few weeks I will find more things than I have room for that I'd like to try!

Edie

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?