Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (16)

• hamiltongardener
    11 years ago

This place is already awesome, thanks.

Oh wait. If you could add a magical, surefire and permanent cure for spinach leafminer, that'd be great. Thx!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    11 years ago

Seriously, I find things adequate except for 1 item that I have requested and never heard back from. I would like for some simple html to be restored.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Please remove anyone who mentions the current election cycle over at HT.

Thanks.

• hamiltongardener
    11 years ago

lol pn!

• homegro
    11 years ago

This may be a bit off subject, but I would like to see a frank/open discussion on ways to increase readership of this forum. I am a participant for this forum for quite sometime, but my sense is that we are slowly losing readership. There could be tons of reasons, too many repeated questions, lack of master gardeners participating, readily availability of search engine on gardening topics, etc. But this forum can provide lively, unique and useful real life experience to share, we just need some more creative ideas, ...

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    11 years ago

I already replied over on the hot pepper forum, but some simple html would be great. Just so if I wanted to ital emphasize /ital something, I could do it without SHOUTING. (yes, I know I left the brackets, had to.)

• grandad_2003
    11 years ago

Having the ability to Edit/Update your own post prior to someone responding to it would be great. This feature seems to be readily available at other forum sites.

• emgardener
    11 years ago

Image posting can be improved.

Currently you can post just one image with your feature and the image shows up quite large. I reduced the pixel count on my pictures, but the picture size stayed the same, just the resolution was reduced, ugh.

Make it easy to post several smaller pictures.

• lantanascape
    11 years ago

Ability to format text would be nice. In general, I like vBulletin's interface, with the option to add a small avatar to help readers distinguish among posters. The HTML code is a little clunky - I'd never figure it out on my own, but luckily Photobucket supplies it.

I really love the Clippings feature, and definitely would like to keep that, though I don't remember to use it often enough.

Thank you for this site; I've learned a ton here over the years!

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

as posted in the seed forum, Id like to see a video section, rangeing from seed starting to harvesting to canning and everything in between.

• john9001
    11 years ago

need a "go to next unread post" link.

• bart1
    11 years ago

I don't know if this is possible or if they are permentaly lost to the ether, but I would love to be able to search older posts. I'm talking about posts from 5 or more years ago.

I first noticed this in Fruit and Orchards - - there was a very knowledgable guy who used to post all the time years ago and his messages were filled with fantastic information. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find them anymore. I'll even search the exact title of the thread from say 2008, (from a printed copy I saved) and I come up with nothing.

Like I said, those may be lost and gone forever, but if there was a way to get them back, that would be great!

• bart1
    11 years ago

Also, a built in spell check would be great.

Tanks!

;-)

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

LOl Bart, tired of trying to figure out what people are really saying. :)

• grandad_2003
    11 years ago

Tamara, the Update feature is excellent. I just used it to fix a spelling mistake. Also, I particularly like that you can fix a post even if others have posted to the thread.... This is a definite improvement. Thanks.