Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest lettuce and chard

Posted by sdmarkus none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 26, 12 at 16:25

Howdy folks, the front yard veggie garden is complete and planted as of a month or two ago.

Everything is doing pretty well with much of the lettuce and chard looking ready to harvest. How do I know when it's done? Best to remove the whole head or can individual leaves be removed as necessary?

In the past we let to lettuce go too long and it got a little bitter and went to seed.
Many thanks,

Mark

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest lettuce and chard

You can harvest the Lettuce and Swiss Chard as needed starting now.

If you cut a bit higher from the base, it will grow back. I think you are supposed to harvest from the outer leaves first, and leave a couple leaves in the middle.

Nice Lettuce and Swiss Chard though. :)

o

Harvest away! You actually could have started harvesting awhile ago. I Harvest lettuce by breaking off the outside leaves at the base, then just cut the chard off at the base leaf by leaf. It doesn't make sense to me to harvest the whole plant, when it will regrow.

Jay

o

Definitely harvest chard from the outside - it will keep producing.

o

You've gort some good looking lettuce. I agree with others: harvest now by removing outside leaves.

o

Alright, thanks everyone! Who's ready for salad?:)

o

I don't know how much chard you have, but I would let it get a bit larger before you harvest. You can certainly harvest now, but I think for the 2 of us, we would eat all of that chard in one meal! It cooks down to about an 8th of what you start with!
Great with onions, garlic, mushrooms and some diced tomatoes, all saute'd or stir fried! MMMMMMMMM Nancy

o

From the garden to my belly in under a half hour...I think I'm gonna like this:)

Chard with onion, garlic, sausage and seasoning
Photobucket

o

I just started gardening but when my chard was young I used them as a salad. I definitely agree with eating the outside leaves first. My garden is still a work in progress but you can see the chard that I have cut and it is in the bottom right. I have been harvesting chard for over 2 months now.

o

Both can be harvested by the individual leaf. Smaller chard leaves are more tender than great big ones, so I wouldn't let them get too big. If you don't live where there's frost, you'll still be eating chard next summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall vegetables

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here