Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do sunchokes' flowers produce seeds?

Posted by preppyjock 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 16:49

how big are those seeds? can they actually produce new plants for next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do sunchokes' flowers produce seeds?

In temperate climates, the flowers of sunchokes are generally sterile. But even if you were able to get fertile seed & grow it, there is no guarantee that you would get a plant similar to the original.

Sunchokes are most often reproduced vegetatively, by tubers. The varieties presently in circulation are clones, probably of hybrids created some time in the past. Hybrid seed will not grow true to type. A similar situation exists with most potatoes grown today; if you plant seed from a potato, you are likely to get plants with a wide range of characteristics.

Since each JA tuber planted can produce 50 or more tubers in a season, that is the preferred method of reproduction. But if you are able to get seeds & have the space to experiment, it might be fun to try growing them.

o

Where ever you planted them...you're probably going to have them for life...especially in a zone 8. They're almost impossible to get rid of. Enjoy.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 22:54

Never had seeds on my plants or found the listing for seeds, only tubers.
The first sunchokes I plant feed the deer & moles.
I now have 3 kinds growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here