Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbieveggiepatch

Little tiny mushrooms growing in my vegetable garden!

newbieveggiepatch
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am new to the whole veggie growing as I have just started a small veggie patch in a standing container. I have just noticed that I have little mushrooms popping up everywhere. I am just wondering if I should remove them? Will they effect the vegetables that are growing eg rocket? My garden has mulch on it, morning sun and I water every morning as we are having hot days around 30 degrees Celsius. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Have a great day!

Comments (27)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I would pull them out and then wash my hands. What state are you in?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Same is happening in my garden. A lot of brown small and white big mushrooms are growing. It is due to mild temperatures and rain. It is early spring like weather.

Mushroom are benefitial fungi in the garden. Mushroom compost is one of the good soil amendments. So having mushrooms growing in your garden is a good news. Just let them grow then till them in or pick and throw in your compost.

• dajsnipe
    10 years ago

Probably related to the mulch your using more than the soil, either way I would leave them and let them die and compost naturally.

• newbieveggiepatch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much for your help. I really appreciate it! :)

• pnbrown
    10 years ago

Yes, it's the mulch.

• Misti Robertson
    5 years ago

It isn’t always about the wood-chips... we have absolutely NO wood-chips in our vegetable garden but these same mushrooms are everywhere. From everything I’ve read so far, it’s a sign of good soil and is best to let them compost in the soil. Most just pick them and leave them to compost.

• jenna
    3 years ago

I know this post is old but I am having the same problem & did not use any mulch. having cooler than usual temps. They are not coming up in my lettuce containers, just the spinach & beets..

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    3 years ago

As noted years ago, it's not a "problem".

• Carla Sciascia
    3 years ago

can you eat them?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Only if you know they are edible. And no one here is knowledgeable enough to provide that info.

• lmartyak
    3 years ago

As a liver doctor, I would not recommend eating them. Some mushrooms can cause liver toxicity and failure. Thanks for the info on keeping them to compost!

• PRO
    Sabrina Dames Art
    3 years ago

Glad I Googled this topic. I have some growing in my rosemary. Happy to know I don’t have to start over.

• Ella Bella
    3 years ago

this post is so reassuring 😅 I thought I had a problem in my hand

• HU-175640622
    2 years ago

grateful to see this post as I too am having the same issue. I’ll leave them alone.

2 years ago

You'd like to believe that someone who takes the trouble to add to a thread would take the trouble to read it. Lots of fungus growing in your soil. Some have caps and a lot don't.

• Joe Snellings
    2 years ago

What are those mushrooms called? I have the same but want to know what they are called besides mushrooms

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

You mean a botanical name? There are more than 14,000 different species of mushrooms and any number could be among those appearing in the garden. Unless something very obvious, you would need a mycologist to tell them apart.

2 years ago

And a real mycologist would want something a lot more than a picture-at-a-distance to identify them properly. Hopefully, any amateur mycologists here will resist the temptation. There are many mushroom varieties that look vaguely like that.

• Jeanie Beanie
    2 years ago

I have a new question. I have what I think are Fleecy Milk Cap mushrooms over taking my veg patch. I don't want to kill them, given the constant distruction of our eco system, I want to move them to a more suitable location where they can thrive. It is my understanding that they like woodland. My question is how do I move them without killing them?

• The Randomness
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

They look like the ones growing in my tomatoes, mint, kale and pumpkins. They are milky coneheads.

• Diane Thornton Stewart
    last year

AAre thethey poipoison to dogs

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

They very well could be. Unless you can get them accurately identified by an experienced mycologist, don't eat them or let your pets eat them either.

• Mark Biddle
    11 months ago

I pull them out composted them because I didn’t last year and I found that it ate at the garden roots and stems and such.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 months ago

@Mark Biddle, did you read the full thread? As has been clearly pointed out, mushrooms that appear from out of the soil are NOT harmful to growing plants. The mushrooms are the fruiting bodies of naturally occurring fungal organisms that are the decomposers of organic matter or dead plant material. They are everywhere and do not eat "at the garden roots and stems and such" or bother any living plants! There is no need to compost them as they will disappear in a couple of days all on their own. They are the sign of a healthy soil.

11 months ago

Yes, that's a good reason why mushrooms don't grow ON plants. Because they're not eating them. They grow in dead vegetative material. If mushrooms ate plants, plants would be covered in them.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 months ago

They sure look like the very common parasol mushroom, maybe Parasola plicatilis. It’s an ink cap mushroom, almost ubiquitious in most locations, but so small and ephemeral that they go unnoticed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH