Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jll0306

Amazing Amaranth

jll0306
15 years ago

I've been thinking about planting some Amaranth ever since Cabrita mentioned that it is a good hotweather green.

Holey Moley! Some varieties grow 10 and 12' tall! I think maybe I'll just stick with grains from the organic grocery store!

j.

Comments (28)

• jimster
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Since you brought it up, tell me more. Here is why.

Amaranth is easily the most prolific, most vigorous weed in my garden. This makes me think cultivated amaranth would be a highly successful crop, maybe better than anything else. For some reason I haven't attempted to use the wild amaranth as food, even though I am interested in wild foods and have eaten many others. Nor have I grown domestic amaranth.

So, give me your sales pitch, whoever grows it. Am I missing out on something really good?

Jim

• jll0306
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See, that's how I think about gardening, too. I figure The easiest way to be a good gardener is to pay attention to what comes leaping out of the ground, and grow lots of it. In that vein, I had great plans for my wild mustard crop until I found out it was the invasive species that is crowding out the California natives

But I know very little about amaranth. Maybe Cabrita will see this thread and chime in on it. Otherwise, you may find some helpful information at the Baker Creek Heirloom site.

I had no idea it would grow so well in your part of the country. Maybe you should give the greens from your wild variety a taste test, and if they are good, contribute some seeds to a seed saving site, with a note that it grows well in Northern Gardens.

j.

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

I have been growing it for a couple years. It suffers extremely from onerous harvesting syndrome. Or more accurately the harvester suffers.......

• cabrita
    15 years ago

I just started growing it this year. It processes carbon like corn (same metabolism? or should I say biochemistry?) which makes it a very productive crop just like corn. This means you can grow a lot of food in a smaller space. This is appealing to me. Also appealing is the fact that my bugs (Harlequins and green stink bugs) seem to leave it alone. It grows well in hot weather, while the kale and gai lan (which I also love) look rather sad in the summer. Also, I cannot grow spinach very well, I mean I have, but I do not get large enough crops before it wilts on me, or tries to seed. The amaranth greens are similar to spinach but to me they taste a little better. I cook it though, I tasted it raw and did not much care for it, but it is all a matter of taste.

Besides the greens you also get grains of course. I have not harvested any yet, the Santa Ana winds knocked down my plants so I hope they make it to the seeding (grain) stage. I will report and post more pictures if it recovers.

By the way, I planted the red hopi dye amaranth from Seeds of Change, but this did not cover enough, so i went to my pantry and planted just the type you get at the health food store. That one sprouted even better, so much I had to thin it out a lot (ate the greens).

pnbrown what do you mean by onerous harvesting syndrome?

• jimster
    15 years ago

Can someone brag about the culinary qualities of amaranth? That would really get my attention.

Jim

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

It's quite the pain-in-you-know-what to harvest, is what I mean. Opposite to corn, in that respect. A lot of labor for very little poundage. Much more labor per pound even than the small-grains, and they are difficult enough for the home-grower. Certainly that is one of the main reasons it is not a commercial crop.

In an actual emergency (long-term subsistence) situation where labor is less important than survival, it's other qualities would make it quite valuable. For instance, it's nutritional complement to corn and weed-like growth ability.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I believe amaranth is a high protein grain. It is also a rather spectacular plant, many people grow it as ornamental. I'll be planting seeds for amaranth next year, first time.

Lorna

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Amaranth has two forms in the edible category, Grain Amaranth ( Amaranthus cruentus) and vegetable amaranth ( Amaranthus tricolor). The latter is used as a spinach substitute and is availble from Asian seed vendors. Sometimes called Chinese spinach.

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Amaranth

• jll0306
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went surfing this morning and brought back snippets of Amaranth reports from across the web.

It occurs to me now that the common weeds that return here every year, never flowering, but always getting taller and seedier might be Amaranth. Maybe next year I'll let it grow for a privacy screen along a fence line in an area of the yard that doesn't get much attention (yet)

Anyway, here's the haul. Enjoy!

"Grain amaranth is an ideal crop for small farmers. Since it is small seeded (about a millimeter in diameterslightly larger than poppy seed and off-white colored), farmers can spread the seed liberally and then harvest them young for pot herbs when they are 20cm to 30cm high, leaving adequately spaced plants for grain production. The grain amaranth plants commonly reach two meters in height.

In traditional markets all over Mexico and Central America, bundles of baby weed amaranth known as bledo (which grows liberally in farmers fields) are sold as pot herbs. The same weed, known as pigweed, grows all over North America where soils are disturbed in the spring (i.e., virtually all gardens and farm fields). Vegetable amaranth has been rated as equal or superior to spinach in taste and has substantially more calcium, iron and phosphorus. The baby forms of grain amaranth are equally as good as pot herbs."

Culinarily speaking, I've learned that Amaranth is commonly eaten as a green in Greece, buti also found this report from other parts of the world:

"While Native Americans raised amaranth for its seed and used it as a grain (often a sacred grain), and we know the deep-red ornamental flower of this plant, in Asia, Africa and the Caribbean amaranth is cultivated and cooked as a green leafy vegetable.

The heart-shaped leaves are generally variegated, with a magenta splash down the middle, although you will also see all-green and all magenta leaves.

When cooked, amaranth greens have a superb flavor that is less assertive than spinach. Its hardy leaves stand up to longer cooking, or they can be simply stir-fried as a leafy green. If cooked in liquid, such as in soup, the variegated and magenta varieties tint the water a delicate rose color.

Rich in vitamins A and C, calcium and iron, amaranth greens are high in protein for a leafy green. The best way to retain these nutrients is to cook amaranth greens for a short time, drop them into curries or soups, or stir-fry them quickly."

Apparently Amaranth was such a valuable crop in Mayan culture that it was often depicted in bas-relief carvings. A site on Mexican cooking offers this:

"The grain, because of its high protein content, is a popular item in tiendas naturistas - health food stores - where it is bought to be used in breads, muffins, hot cakes, and cooked as a cereal. Many brands of Mexican granola also include amaranth in their mixture. Delicious moles, pipians, soups, vegetable dishes and desserts made with amaranth have once again come to the culinary forefront, as interest in pre-Hispanic ingredients has been renewed by the chefs of la nueva cocina mexicana, the Mexican nouvelle cuisine which combines ancient ingredients with modern techniques.

Now widely sold in health food stores and supermarkets north of the border, amaranth is also available on the Internet (see Sources, below.) Amaranth flour is ideal for use in gluten-free diets. The plant is easy to grow in the home garden, sprouting quickly and needing very little special care. Although best nurtured by good soil and moisture, it is capable of surviving both drought conditions and poor soil, a fact which is probably responsible for its lasting through intervals of near neglect, and has earned it the appellation of "never fading"."

They offer links to recipes using Amaranth, so I've added the link to their site below.

j.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

We've been growing an amaranth native to the Sierra Madre in Eastern Mexico. In the state of Puebla it was known as quintonil (pronounced Keen-toe-kneel, with the accent on kneel). There it is found in the corn fields. It is "cultivated," in that most folk leave a good deal to grow, for leafy greens. There were two types of quintoniles in that area, the red (rojo) and the white (regular green). We had the Red variety where we lived. When we moved to the state of Hidalgo, in 1993, I took some seed with me, to an entirely different climate. We went from high cold rain forest to the high (but still 2000' lower) desert, where we used flood irrigation. I essentially threw the seed over part of the garden and it came up every year afterwards. When we moved to NJ, I did the same. It nearly didn't reproduce that first year. But then it seemed to adapt.

When we moved to Oklahoma it was harder, though I don't know why. I actually had to start some indoors for transplant, since it didn't sprout when planted by "throwing the seed." For the first two years it seemed touch and go, as seed production was quite low. But this year we seem to have hit the jackpot. Here's a picture. This is how it looks back in Mexico.

{{gwi:116595}}

The way I most often saw quintonil prepared, back in Puebla, was cooked as a potherb, in with beans or with salsa and pork. One woman taught us to cook it in a covered frying pan, with tomatoes and bacon. It was delicious this way! Most often, now, I simply cut the topmost portion of the plant, which includes a good many leaves and tender stems, and cook them like spinach. We put a little soy sauce on them when served.

I suppose quintonil seeds are high protein. But it would take FOREVER to accumulate enough of them for cooking.

George

• jimster
    15 years ago

George,

Is the quintonil in your picture still usable as a potherb, or is it past its prime? IOW, at which stage(s) of growth should it be used?

Jim

• mxbarbie
    15 years ago

I grew some Hartman's Giant amaranth this year in my flower beds... didn't eat any, I should try some before it snows I suppose! It sure is pretty, and easy to grow.

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

Two different discussions going on here: cultivation as a green vs for grain. As a green no plant could be easier, IME. As a grain, what I said earlier.

I'd compare it to the ease of growing mustard for greens vs what it would take to produce many pounds of mustard seed.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

As mentioned before there are many species of amaranth. As pnbrown stated we are interchanging species. While grain amaranth ( usually associated with Mexico) is not very popular, it does have seedheads which can be harvested like Milo (sorghum tricolor). On the only hand, the more popular is vegetable amaranth ( Chinese spinach) usually associated with Asia. These are cultivated for leaves not grain.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Jimster, I only use it when it's young, like under 2' tall. It's usable even at this stage, but one has to pick individual leaves, which I find too time consuming.

BTW, since getting into lamb's quarters our quintonil has taken a back seat, since we like lamb's quarters better. I will always grow quintonil... and consume it. But lamb's quarters is more productive and has a finer texture.

George

• cabrita
    15 years ago

I grew the grain amaranth, and have been eating the leaves. I should also try the version grown for the leafy part primarily. I really like the grains too, so I can grow both, why not? This thread has given me great information, thanks guys!

(I staked my fallen plants and tied them, thinned them a little more, they look OK so I still hope to get grain)

• jll0306
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thanks for the pictures and first hand report, George. The only problem is that NOW I'm going to have to go study up on lamb's quarters, another plant I'm not familiar with.

Cabrita on the greens front, Sand Hill has this variety listed, but they won't be taking orders again until mid-Dec.

Tiger Eye: 50 days. Short, coleus-like leaves. Plants stay 2 to 3 feet tall when picked. Excellent for hot weather climate.

• cabrita
    15 years ago

I harvested some seeds (grains) from both the green and the hopi red dye amaranth. The green type has pale oatmeal colored seeds, the red has black seeds. I harvested enough to use as greens seed for next summer (to cook subtituting spinach).

I think I can go shake the heads again (with cookie tray) and whatever I get from second/third harvest I will use as grain to eat. I am curious about the taste difference between the pale and black grains. I should get more grain since some heads have not matured yet. The green one is beautiful. As baby or young plants they are just a lush green, not so exiting. The heads start as a pale green. When they ripen, the heads turn pink and darker pink (harvest time) the leaves get a red border, keeping the green center. I'll try to take pictures in a bit (my friday off).

For those of you who have harvested, how do you separate the dusty petal like bits - chaff from the grains? gently blowing on them? I do see the time consuming part. Now I really appreciate the amaranth grain I get at the coop.

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

Brian, that is some astounding amaranth! You had some mighty tall corn there, too - what variety is that?

Do you eat the amaranth grain?

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    15 years ago

The tallest corn races come from Mexico, Central America, and South America. I've grown quite a few varieties of maize and my favorites are Jala, Olotillo, Olotillo-Tuxpeno, Uchima, Gallina, Montana, Tehua.

Here are some pictures

Olotillo
    {{gwi:116610}}

Jala (~ 20 ft)
    {{gwi:116611}}

Jala patch
    {{gwi:116612}}

Jala ears
    {{gwi:116613}}

Uchima (20 1/2 ft.)
    {{gwi:116614}}

Montana (~23 ft.)
    {{gwi:116616}}

Gallina (~ 19 ft)
    {{gwi:116618}}

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

Nice photos Brian. I grew Jala and Inca Giant from our seed trade earlier this year. Neither is adapted to the climate. I think I can get a good hybrid with a local seed corn which might be a good way to get the genes into a locally adapted variety. The local variety typically grows 16 to 18 feet tall so will be in the same height range.

How did you do with the beans?

DarJones

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    15 years ago

Beans last year did very well. Beans this year did not do very well. Last year I produced many lima beans, but this year I'm lucky if I have one. My lima beans produce some very large leaves. Bean pods are pretty large too.

lima bean leaves
    {{gwi:116620}}

lima bean pod
    {{gwi:116622}}

This year was a disaster! The only bean that was worth taking a picture of was this one runner bean that I got from Medwyns in the UK.
    {{gwi:116623}}

• Brian_NY_NJ_PA
    15 years ago

I'm surprised the Jala did not do well in a 7B zone. Out of all the tropicals, it seems to be the most prolific as far as ears/kernels go. Another one that I just found this year is an Olotillo-Tuxpeno that produced ears on almost every plant, even ones that were 20 feet tall. Ears are shorter than Jala, but they have a large circumference. The Olotillo-Tuxpeno plants produced many strange deformed ears. I had one plant produce 9 ears from one location, and a couple plants producing ear like structures near the tassels.

9 ears from one location on an Olotillo-Tuxpeno maize plant
    {{gwi:116624}}

ears near the tassel on an Olotillo-Tuxpeno maize plant. I found this on several plants.
    {{gwi:116625}}

Olotillo is a bit harder to produce viable ears than Jala or Olotillo-Tuxpeno, but I'm still capable of producing some in my area. I tried my hand at a race called Gallina this year. I was able to produce a few dozen kernels. I would have had many more, but we had an early frost. I also tried another race named Uchima, but the ears were undeveloped by frost. That variety produces plants around 19 to almost 21 feet. on my first try. I'm going to try them a little earlier next year and I should have ears. Now a variety that has been a disaster for me has been Montana. I've never been able to get viable ears with that variety, but this year I was close to getting one.

Above the ruler are Jala ears. Below the ruler on the bottom left are Olotillo ears (maroon colored), and bottom right are Olotillo-Tuxpeno ears which have a larger circumference.
    {{gwi:116626}}

Inca giant? You mean Cuzco Gigante (the one with the nickel sized kernels)? That one was a disaster for me. There are some varieties that are very indolent in my area. That is one of them! Another one that I don't do well with is Oloton. I can always tell because you don't get straight stalks, and they tend to be more brittle.

Do you know the name of your local corn that gets really tall?

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

The local corn is just a white corn that a local family has grown since time began. It always threw a few very tall plants among others that were only 12 to 13 feet tall. I saved seed from the tallest plants and in a couple of years got to the point that about 1/4 of the plants are in the 16 to a max of 20 feet tall range. It also makes a very nice ear of corn for cornmeal.

I recall that you like to grow things that get really big. I have a huge kettle gourd that gets up to 30 inches diameter and 14 inches tall. I also have a few other veggie seed you might be interested in. Email if you would like to set up a trade. I'd like to get a few seed of Olaton Gigante and a few more of the Cuzco Gigante corn if you have them.

DarJones

• pnbrown
    15 years ago

And here I was thinking that hickory king is a very tall variety. Its a dwarf compared to these critters. How do these super-talls not blow over?

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Update on the amaranth. I harvested seed last fall from both the red and the green. I did not bother trying to cook the seed as a grain and just saved it for warm weather greens and we also shared some seed.

It has not been time to plant yet, but as you might have guessed it reseeded itself. Not only did it volunteer on the spot it was growing last fall, but it sprouted from compost. I discarded some grains that I thought were not mature and would not seed.

The amaranth growing this winter/spring is very small. It tries to seed when still about 1 foot tall. I think this is perhaps because the weather was too cool? or maybe because it sprouted from immature seed? In any case, I have not tried sowing any of the seed I saved. We have such an over abundance of greens (in the garden and the freezer) that we might skip it.

Amaranth volunteering in the winter garden and not growing very tall has been a nice feature for us. The red amaranth looks beautiful among the corn, the peas and the tomatoes. The green is harder to recognize, but it is also volunteering and behaving the same way. I have been harvesting them as I would spinach, and loving it (my real spinach is as usual..... underperforming). The other observation I wanted to mention is that when they are raw, I do not care for the taste of the green, but the red has a tangy sour taste that goes well in salads. It is also really tasty cooked, and makes a nice red broth that enhances the appeal of cooked greens.

• Gregory Martin
    3 years ago

Brian, just wondering if you are still growing the tidalmarsh amaranth. I wasn't sure how long lived they are. I'm searching for seeds and would love to buy some if possible and would really appreciate the help getting some.