Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minnesota Midget Melon: what does it taste like?

Posted by ju1234 8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 18:00

This is the first year I grew Minnesota Midget (late season) and the first time I ever tasted it. I found it to be only slightly sweet. However what i did not like about it was an "irritating feeling" it leaves in the back of the throat, leaving a scratchy feeling in the pharynx. i wonder if that is characteristic of this melon or may be I am allergic to this melon. I do not have any allergic problem with the ususal melons purchased from market (cantaloupe, honeydew, hami, christmas). If you can shed any light on this issue, will appreciate it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minnesota Midget Melon: what does it taste like?

I'm not sure if you mean by late season that yours matured late in the season. Cantaloupes need good warmth to flavor up well. Beyond that, what I have tasted of Minnesota Midget has been disappointing too. It had a musky smell that I nearly despised.

o

I am pretty sure that Minnesota Midget is the variety I grew a few years ago that was completely foul-tasting. The first fruit or two were just sort of bland, but the 3rd one almost made me gag when I tasted it. Spit it out and felt traumatized for hours knowing that my garden produced something so nasty.

o

I grew it last year in containers in a greenhouse and while the melons were small, they were delicious. This year I tried growing it outside with a floating row cover to get it going. The melons set, but never ripened.

I live in a cool-summer, fog pocket, but even with an unusually sunny summer, I couldn't get those little suckers to grow for me :-(

o

I give M M a thumbs up. I grew them a couple of times and I liked the earliness, production, and taste (sweetness.) It's easy to tell when they're ripe because they practically turn orange. Tried to grow them last year but my seedling died. Will probably try again next year.

o

I had a large crop of Sugar Queens from Willhite that were super tasting [as always]. Also the Burpee Early Hyb. Crenshaws were too...largest 22 pounds. I got one extra super tasting Godess too.

o

Thanks for the replies. The reason I had grown MM was that they are the earliest maturing variety, just 45 days and their small size so one person can eat it in one session. I had read good reviews on this melon on this site. I had planted them in late july and picked them in end of September. They overnight turned from green to yellow and another day later they slipped. They were fully ripe.

Wayne 5 and Lantanascape, the description you have given is pretty much I would agree with.

Others here still saying good things about it. I am not sure if I should try this again or not.

Thanks for the opinions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here