Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chinese garlic chives questions

Posted by ikea_gw (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 18:23

I am in zone 7 and I have a few questions about my Chinese garlic chives. They flowered last month and now I have some fresh ripe seeds.

My first question is how I can plant these seeds. Should I wait until spring to sow them outdoors or start them indoors under lights last winter.

Second question is whether I can harvest leaves at this point. The plants are looking great, green, full with no signs of going dormant.

Last question is when is the best time to divide the existing clumps I have. Should I wait until they come back in the spring or do it now? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chinese garlic chives questions

In zone 7 the time to divide clumps is now - before the first frost - they need some time to get root settled before a hard freeze.

The seeds work best if just direct seeded now. The plants readily reseed themselves and they can become invasive so take care where you plant them. The seeds do not store well for any length of time and by next spring germination rate will be less than 50%.

Stem and leaf harvest time is the best flavor before the plants bloom and can be dried or frozen (ice cubes trays work well for this). You can still harvest now but the flavor of the older stems will be bitter so focus on harvesting the smaller thinner leaves and stems.

You can read more about them and their uses over on the Growing Herbs forum here.

Dave

o

I think you could tie a clump to the roof of your car and ride around for a week, and they would still be alive and ready to grow. Garlic chives are tough plants! You can transplant divisions in spring or fall. I have one big mother clump, and lots of little clumps elsewhere.

These guys reseed so well that they become weedy, and they won't come out with a pull, you gotta dig. To limit reseeding, I remove the flowers after they fade, and only allow a few stems to produce mature seeds. Those I scatter where I want new garlic chives to grow, and dozens come up in spring.

o

The two posts above are very agreeable as far as dividing, re-seeding goes. But many people in the US use this chives as herb, which is not really what was popularly used in the Orient. They are cut all the way to the ground and used as green by stir-frying them just like other green. If you use them as green, you will find them to be very tender and tasty especially in early Spring, and can't get enough of them. The flowers in the late summer are pinched to the ground(before they open) then they get cut off into small sections and stir-fried also. They are very expensive when buying in Asian groceries if you can find them.

o

Sounds like I should be seeding and dividing now. :) I know what I am doing this weekend.

homegro, I am Asian so we do eat chives as mainly a vegetable. It is yummy in dumplings and stir fries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here