Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amateurbex

First veggie garden not getting enough sun

AmateurBex
9 years ago

Hello everyone! New to this forum and new to gardening in general. It's summer here in NZ and so I thought I would try my hand at gardening... been trying to go organic and thought what better way....

The house we rent was already set up with raised beds down the side of the house and at the top of the garden. Figured the person here before knew what they were doing so weeded the beds and planted my store-bought seedlings (as per instructions). They aren't doing terribly... They are growing slowly (it's only been a week) and holding themselves up tall and look healthy enough?! (I think/hope).

Today is one of the first days I have been at home, off work (I am sick unfortunately) and I have been using the time to assess the sun outside... in a nutshell, there isn't enough of it. The beds down the side of the house are almost entirely shaded. They're getting partial filtered sun now and it's 12pm. I don't have to be an expert to know this is no good. The tomato plant has been growing like mad... but that too is barely getting any sun by the looks of it.

So my question is... how easy is it to dig up plants and re-plant them where there is more sun? Or should this be avoided altogether? Should I start over with new seedlings or just leave them and hope for the best? Sorry for all the Qs... I don't know what to do and hubby isn't much help either :(

Thanks all in advance!!

Comments (6)