Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will the Brassicas Take some freezes?

Posted by MickEmery 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 19:22

It hit 32 last night. Supposed to freeze a couple more times this week. I still have cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower & brussels sprouts in my beds. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will the Brassicas Take some freezes?

They can handle some frost. Brussels sprouts taste better after frost.

o

They can handle some frost. Brussels sprouts taste better after frost.

o

Brasica can take temperatures down 20F, according to my own experience.

Here is a quote:

CAN withstand HARD FROST >>> Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, collards, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, onions, parsley, peas, radishes, spinach, turnips, leeks, and sorrel.

HARD FROST: Temperatures below 28F

o

My savoy cabbages have survived totally unharmed after 10 degrees.

o

Except for b sprouts, kale and collards, I find that the brassicas lose quality after hard freezing (below 26 for 6 hours), which is expected later this week. I will harvest my remaining cabbage and turnips before then.

o

I find that the brassicas lose quality after hard freezing (below 26 for 6 hours),
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
planatus

I have experienced that overwintering vegetables becomes drier dring the winter with much less juice/moisture. Because the plant does not want to freeze and therefore minimizes water uptake. This might be a plus for(for example) cabbage but not radish.

o

I'm very surprised to see parsley and peas in a list which can take hard frost. Parsley goes dormant in the winter for me unless under a cloche. Peas can only survive as very small (i.e. a couple of inches tall) seedlings, and even then they're touch and go. And that's in my climate where freezes are seldom deep or long.

o

Flora ... They said that parsley "CAN withstand HARD FROST", meaning that the very first frost is not going to kill it. I have seen my existing parsley survive hard freeze. In other words they were not killed. But if you harvest them, you are going to see any new growth. The same goes for peas in the spring. They will survive. I don't think parsley goes dormant but It stays live.

o

When I say it goes dormant that doesn't preclude it's being alive. My parsley, if not protected, reduces down to a few tiny unusable stems close to the ground. Our climate is very wet in winter and sometimes it just rots right out. It doesn't survive in good condition the way the brassicas do. We can harvest those in mid winter whereas the parsley has all but disappeared.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here