Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisies4ever

Should I get seeds close to home?

daisies4ever
10 years ago

In other words, will vegetable seeds purchased from a company in Maine grow well in California? Or should I buy seeds from a company in California? When I lived in the PNW, I bought almost all my seeds from Territorial Seed Co. because they were from my area. I never really knew if this made much difference or not. I would like to expand my horizons but not if seeds from the east won't do well in the west. Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

I go to a seed exchange in our county that is for totally GMO free and locally grown seed. All for free! They also have monthly classes!
    I know this might be a long shot for a lot of places, but something for people to think about. Seed banks are getting very popular these days.
    What I can't get at the seed exchange, I go to the seed "bank".
    We are truly blessed to have been chosen as the west coast area to host a Baker Seed store!
    I'm not sure where the seed comes from (they are based in Missouri I believe), but everyone who works there seem very smart about what grows well where!
    I would go to the most reputable organic nursery in the area while searching for (or creating) a seed bank or library (which I've read is also up and coming!) I've actually heard of some that use the old library drawers AND have them IN the library!
    Anyway, good luck and happy gardening! Nancy

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

The source of the seed doesn't really matter, so long as you get it from a source with a good reputation. What matters is whether or not a certain variety will grow well in your area.

Rodney

• Slimy_Okra
    10 years ago

No, it doesn't matter. You just have to do your research well, understanding your climate, and pick the crops and varieties that work for you.
    Example: I live in Canada, zone 2, and we have Canadian suppliers of seeds. With the exception of one company in B.C that offers me some unusual varieties, I do all my shopping from U.S seed companies, most of that from Johnny's, since they have the best variety IMO. I also buy from Park Seeds in NC, a totally different climate than mine, because they have certain varieties I can't find in Canada, and it has nothing to do with climate.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

When you buy seeds from nurserie, big box, online .. you don't know where they were grown. The big seed companies buy their seeds in bulk and package them.

You best bet is to but the heiloom seeds from someone you know or collect your own seeds, if you want LOCALLY GROWN seeds. Some plants, after some generations adapt to their environment and even become disease resistant. THAT IS CALLED NATIVE PLANTS.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    10 years ago

When I was a kid er, a young man, FFA years, classroom wisdom was get seed produced further north e.g. Arkansas rice for Louisiana seeding, Iowa corn for Missouri. Idaho seed for California. etc.Three things come to mind. That was classroom knowledge, it was for farming rather than our gardens and I haven't heard this in over a half century.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

IF it made a big difference then the majority of home gardeners would be up a dry creek when it came to getting seeds since the majority don't have any locally grown seed suppliers?

No it makes no difference. If you have local sources and can confirm the seeds were actually grown locally, great! Use them by all means. But that shouldn't limit your choices for any reason. Your weather and the growing conditions you supply has 1000 X the effect on a seed's growth and production than the source of the seed does.

Dave

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Just for the record, you can't buy GMO seeds unless you are a farmer buying large lots of corn, soybeans or similar agricultural crops. Most of the garden veggies we grow do not have GMO versions available to the general public.

• daisies4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated.