Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Sweet Dumpling Squash

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

Do these also go by another name? I've read some good things about them but am surprised that some of the major seed companies don't mention them in their catalogs.

How long will they store in the winter?

Comments (8)

• regencylass
    11 years ago

I've found them listed in pretty much all of my favorite heirloom seed catalogs.
    I did a quick google of Sweet Dumpling Squash Seeds just now and found several seed companies that offer it. In saying that, my seeds were what I saved from a nice SDS that I got from an organic grower at the local farmer's market a couple of years ago. And as my harvests come up true, the original squash that I got from him apparently hadn't cross pollinated with anything else in his garden.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know this is going to sound odd; I've been away from gardening for a while and I've actually been browsing 2011 catalogs of Burpee, Southern Seed Exchange, Nichols Garden Nursery, and Teritorial Seed - none of those listed Sweet Dumpling Squash that year.

What is it, C. Pepo, Moschata, Maxima?

How long will it keep?

Do you eat the skin on the squash?

Is it a space hog in the garden?

• farmerdill
    11 years ago

It is a C. pepo and pretty widely available. It is open pollinated and available from Baker Creek, Johnny's, Harris, Hume, Fedco, Sustainable seed, Local Harvest, Generic Seeds, Reimers etc. It is a small single serving acorn type That is normally split and baked in the skin. Medium sized vines. It is not a bush type.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"...It is a small single serving acorn type..."

Thank you. That's probably the answer I've been looking for, it's a variety of acorn squash, now I can categorize it.

At least one review I've read stated that the skin on Sweet Dumpling is actually sweeter than the meat. Is that so? Does anyone here eat the skin along with the meat? Is it normal to eat the skin on acorn squash?

I don't know that I've ever eaten an acorn squash.

• missrumphius
    11 years ago

Seed for sweet dumpling is also available from Pine Tree Garden seeds.If you are not familiar with them, they specialize in small (therefore cheap)packets of seeds for home gardens. I like sweet dumpling better than carnival which is about the same size.
    Elaina

• ju1234
    11 years ago

Hello Sidhartha0209,

If you cook it Indian curry style, you can cook it (all pumpkin family squashes) with skin. I do. With skin it tastes much better, has a different texture. I don't know if all pumpkins will taste good though. If you add a little sugar to it, would be even better.

• jolj
    11 years ago

Being a winter squash, it should last 30 to 100 days.
    I have never stored SDS, but have had Butternut last up to 5 months or 150 days.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Seed for sweet dumpling is also available from Pine Tree Garden seeds.If you are not familiar with them, they specialize in small (therefore cheap)packets of seeds for home gardens. I like sweet dumpling better than carnival which is about the same size.
    Elaina"

Thanks Elaina, I actually stumbled upon the produce worker at WalMart as he was putting the first SDS & Delicata of the season out. Bought two (1.50 ea I think).

Think maybe it'd be safe to save seed from these?

"Hello Sidhartha0209,
    If you cook it Indian curry style, you can cook it (all pumpkin family squashes) with skin. I do. With skin it tastes much better, has a different texture. I don't know if all pumpkins will taste good though. If you add a little sugar to it, would be even better."

Thanks for the cooking tips ju, I do intend to check the skin out.

"Being a winter squash, it should last 30 to 100 days.
    I have never stored SDS, but have had Butternut last up to 5 months or 150 days."

Thanks jol, my Dad grows butternut (actually they've 'naturalized' in his compost area and 'volunteer' every year now) and they always store well. I've had spaghetti squash (storebought even) keep for nearly a year! And those are pepo too!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County