Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
YAY school gardens!

Posted by nancyjane_gardener USDA 8ish No CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 20:58

This is our first year having a school garden. It was small to start, just 1 zuk, 1 early tomato, a couple of bush beans, some donated corn plants, donated carrot and cilantro seeds.Oh Oh also a couple of crane melons!
Our zuk stopped producing flowers, so we just let the last 2 zuks grow and grow. We just got 1st place for the largest zuk at the Sonoma Co Harvest Fair! WooHoo! $10 towards our fall garden or some new soil for next spring!
We will also be packaging and selling (at our office) carrot, cilantro, and sunflower seed to further fund our garden!
These are older spec ed students and many have never seen anything grow from a plant to eating!
Big expansions for next year! Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: YAY school gardens!

Woo! Thanks for putting the work in.

o

How cool! It's great that the students get to see firsthand how their food grows.

How big was your zucchini?

o

It's always fun to see Vegetables grow.

o

The winning zuk was 12.5 lbs!
The lady checking it in said "That's a beauty!!!!"
We will be looking for grants for the future!

o

Many seed companies will donate seeds to schools. Baker Creek is one that helped us out with our school garden. Email me if you want ideas for places to contact.

o

naturegirl, I'm planning on going in to Baker Creek next week. They opened a new store a few years ago in Petaluma just a few miles down the road! I also get starts from a small nursery in the area. Thanks! Nancy

o

Way to grow Nancy Jane! And good fundraising ideas, too.

Whole Foods Market also supports school gardens. You might want to give them a call if you need a little extra help ; )

o

Mauirose- how does Whole foods help? Grants, seeds???????? Would like to know. Thanks! Nancy

o

You know i'm not really sure.

The last time they were fundraising for school gardens i asked if the money would be used on Maui or if it was a national project. Cashier said it was a national project but that all schools needed to do was apply for the grant to get some monies.

Hey i just googled it, check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: WFM school garden grants

o

mauirose, Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, my spec ed students are post-secondary (18-22 YO)
The grants are only for K-12th graders. Nancy

o

Congratulations! It is great to have early success to build on.

If the students got interested in growing a large zucchini you might look into growing a giant pumpkin!

Perhaps there is a local business or individual donor who is looking for a project to support. Yours sounds like a great one!

Best of luck!

o

My DH is a professional pumpkin carver, so we can get all the pumpkin seeds needed from one of the farms he carves at. We had a few 300+ pounders a couple of years ago.
I'm not sure what the school would make of me bringing in a truckload of horse manure, though! LOL.
I went by the little farm that I used to get my starts for very cheap or free and they are closed down with a for sale sign! Just a sign out front saying thanks for a great 5 years! Bummer!
I'll have to find a new source for starts for this fall! It's almost too late to start much from seed! I'll get a few things going. Nancy

o

WooHoo! Had my evaluation today with the new principal.He was VERY impressed with my garden projects and healthy eating projects! Looks like there may be some $ coming our way for more gardening! (He's totally jealous that we were able to grow melons and he can't!LOL) Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here