Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

Pot sizes for my eggplant and zucchini varieties?

ticodxb
12 years ago

So, I went a bit crazy and bought some eggplant seeds and a zucchini variety. could you recommend what size pot I should use for them? I am going to order smart pots for them.

Here are the varieties:

*Eggplants*

Rosita

Listada de Gandia

Round Mauve

Fairy tale

Rosa Bianca

*Zucchini*

Costata Romanesco

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Container Gardening forum may have better suggestions but there is no reason I know of why all of them wouldn't do fine in a 10 gallon smart pot - assuming you plan to monitor water and nutrients carefully.

Dave

• remy_gw
    12 years ago

I grow eggplants in pots every year since they do better that way for me. The pots I use are about 12-14" tall, so whatever size smart pot that is will do. Zucchini will probably need a bit bigger of a pot.
    Remy

• glib
    12 years ago

All the eggplants will be fine, but Costata is a huge plant (mine are 1.5 times as large linearly, or three times in volume, as regular zucchini) and IMHO it will not work. Let us know if it works for you.

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you... I will post in the container gardening forum too...

Glib... Before I saw your answer I was thinking of planting the costata romanesca in a 15 gallon smart pot...I think I will try maybe a 25 gallon pot instead... I hope it works!

• chaman
    12 years ago

{{gwi:90169}} I am posting the pic. of an egg plant in a pot of 2 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet in height .I hope this will give some idea in selecting the pot size.

• buford
    12 years ago

ameera, I grew a zucchini in a 10 gallon smart pot. The problem with squash is that it grows wide and will hang over the sides of the pot. Smart Pots just came out with a new onion and garlic pot that is very wide, but shallow. I think the zucchini may be better off in that pot. Also, with smartpots, you can use a heavier mix so that they don't dry out so much. I had an Italian eggplant in a 5 gal smart pot and it did very well.

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chaman, thank you for the photo! The plant looks very pretty and healthy!

buford, I am purchasing the garlic/onion pots (for shallots)... but they are only 8" deep.. is it really ok to use that shallow of a container for zucchini?

I have been looking at photos of the rampicante zucchini and it does look huge... it might not do the best but I will give it a try in a container anyways just for the learning curve.

• buford
    12 years ago

I'm not sure how deep zucchini needs. The other option is to get a really big pot. I'd try at least the 15 and see how that does.

• ticodxb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

buford, I think I am going to grow the romanesco zucchini in a 25 gallon pot... just to give it the best chance since it does get huge :)

• bella_trix
    12 years ago

Hi Ameera,

When I was in California, I grew romanesco zucchini in Rubbermaid totes like the one in the link below (but cheaper). I believe they are 18 gallon, but maybe 25 gallon. They were approximately 16 inches deep and 1 foot x 2-2.5 feet. I put in two plants per pot and draped them over the sides. The totes are very economical, if not exactly beautiful. All you need to do is drill holes in the bottom.

Thanks for posting the pictures from Dubai in your other thread! Wonderful to see such a different growing climate.

Bellatrix

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubbermaid tote

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

chaman, that is one healthy plant. it looks like there were two seedlings in the pot? anyway, I agree, eggplants do require space as I planted two varities and both went about 2-3 feet wide and eaually tall.

Also space between plants would prevent disease spread from one to the other. Eggplants are most prone to lots of pests, most notably mites (spiders?) I get these rust color small critters on my plants all the time.

• another_buffalo
    12 years ago

Just in case you run out of ideas on how to prepare so many eggplants, here is a website with over 3000 recipes just for eggplant.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3000 eggplant recipes

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor