Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to wait before pulling everything out?

Posted by bradmm 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 21:57

I'm in Central Texas (still 8b, I think) and we're expecting 39 degrees tonight. I harvested all my jalapenos (5 baggies worth, I over planted big time!) because I wasn't sure what the low temps would do to them. I guess nothing since it's colder in the frig. I pulled three green tomatoes and put them in paper bag to try to ripen them but there's a bunch more out there. I'm harvesting okra weekly but will leave them out until they freeze.

Some of my tomatoes aren't fully formed so I thought I'd wait but I guess the main thing is to not let them actually freeze, right?

On another topic, I just started spinach seeds because all my transplants got killed by something... assume some worm although deer have jumped my privacy fence and the dogs sleep right through it. I now have Dipel just in case. :-)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to wait before pulling everything out?

When your tomato plants get frosted they will die (or at least start a quick downward spiral). It is good to get all of the usable fruit inside before then (the fruit might still be usable after a frost - it probably will not freeze, but I don't see too much reason to wait). The sun angle, shorter cooler days, and longer cold nights are all working against your tomato plants - there is a point at which they seem to stop and wait to die. If it is not going to get warmer your tomato season is probably over.

You can pull the tomato plants with a bit of a root ball intact (knock the dirt off) and hang them in a shed, it is amazing how many of the fruits will ripen this way (I grow mostly paste types, different varieties could behave differently). There is a bit of a problem doing this even if you have the extra space, the ripened fruit is of decreasing quality and at some point it will be best to compost them.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 19:29

Soon as it is dead or it stops baring.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 19:29

Soon as it is dead or it stops baring.

o

If I still have some fruit, I try to leave it on as long as possible (as long as the plants are healthy and not diseased) I think the maters taste better vine ripened. I try to pick the outer maters if there is a light frost coming. The ones inside seem to do just fine and keep ripening on the vine.The foliage keeps the frost off.
I'm also in No CA where we are going to be having upper 70s this next week and mornings into the low 40s. It's hard to tell!
I've had tomatoes into Dec and Jan (rare) and kept growing them "just because I can".
This year I'm going to pull several that aren't producing anything and just keep a couple to see if I get anymore.
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here