Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

lettuce and snow??

michelelc
12 years ago

UGH! I just can't win this year. I have 2 raised beds filled with different lettuces, arugula, bok choy, beets, radish and swiss chard. Well, wouldn't you know it, I had to travel for work this week, which I rarely have to do, and after I left on Tuesday the forecast changed for tonight from low of 41 to light snow and a low of 31!! I got home tonight and it had started to snow about an hour before. There was a light coating of snow on all the greens in the garden. I quickly put tarps over my hoops which was the easiest and quickest thing I could do. The lettuces and radish tops looked pretty droopy, not sure if it was from the weight of the snow or if they were dead. Can lettuce tolerate a light snow if they were covered within a couple of hours? I'm so frustrated. As a side note, I was trying to pick the last few peppers I had let go and the 1 eggplant when I saw a large raccoon on the other side of my yard, in the corner by my basement door! When I yelled, it darted down my basement stairs, yikes. Luckily, there is another door at the bottom, which was closed. I went inside another way, and banged on the inside door to scare the raccoon out. I didn't get to pick the rest of the peppers because I wasn't interested in tangling with the raccoon which was still hanging around. I just can't win this year.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus