Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lettuce and snow??

Posted by michelelc 6A, MA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 22:11

UGH! I just can't win this year. I have 2 raised beds filled with different lettuces, arugula, bok choy, beets, radish and swiss chard. Well, wouldn't you know it, I had to travel for work this week, which I rarely have to do, and after I left on Tuesday the forecast changed for tonight from low of 41 to light snow and a low of 31!! I got home tonight and it had started to snow about an hour before. There was a light coating of snow on all the greens in the garden. I quickly put tarps over my hoops which was the easiest and quickest thing I could do. The lettuces and radish tops looked pretty droopy, not sure if it was from the weight of the snow or if they were dead. Can lettuce tolerate a light snow if they were covered within a couple of hours? I'm so frustrated. As a side note, I was trying to pick the last few peppers I had let go and the 1 eggplant when I saw a large raccoon on the other side of my yard, in the corner by my basement door! When I yelled, it darted down my basement stairs, yikes. Luckily, there is another door at the bottom, which was closed. I went inside another way, and banged on the inside door to scare the raccoon out. I didn't get to pick the rest of the peppers because I wasn't interested in tangling with the raccoon which was still hanging around. I just can't win this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lettuce and snow??

All your veggies will be fine. A light dusting of snow is actually beneficial but at upper 20s or low 30s, it doesn't matter one way or another. Just avoid touching them when they are frozen.
Last fall, I had bok choi outside around Halloween when it dipped to 8 degrees F. The snow-covered ones survived, but the ones that had a plastic tent over them (so no snow) died.

o
RE: lettuce and snow??

Oh, thank you for responding so quickly! :) I was feeling quite down about it. It's been such a battle this year. I learn something new every year, or I should say, many new things every year. I will put my row covers on from now on and leave them on when I go away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here