Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Luffas have had bitter taste more and more???

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 22:29

The first one or two luffas tasted normal. Then, each one after that slightly got bitter and bitter. The most recent ones I ate tasted very bitter. It was not like this two years ago when I had luffas. I skipped last year, but planted bitter melons last year. This year, I planted both. Have the luffa plants I have this year picked up the bitter flavor from the bitter melons?

I planted watermelons this year too, yet my watermelons tasted like watermelons without any bitterness...

What has been going on possibly?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Luffas have had bitter taste more and more???

Never considered loofahs edible anyway with the possible exception of very young, small ones. Mature, older gourds will always be bitter and the older and larger they are, the more bitter. But it is due to the age/size and growing condition changes (temps, nutrients, water, etc.) and not from any crossing. Just as with cukes and other similar plants, increased bitterness is most often tied to insufficient or inconsistent water supplies.

Cross pollination doesn't affect the fruit itself in this season, only the seeds are affected and any CP will show up NEXT year if those seeds are planted. That is regardless of the plant in question.

You can learn more about this over on the Squash and Gourds forum here.

Dave

o

Concur: Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) is an entirely different plant from Luffas ( Luffa cylindrica or Luffa acutangula. They do not cross. Like most species some varieties are better for eating than others. You may want to consider a different variety. Many varieties are grown only for making bath sponges.

o

I see. Thanks for the replies, but I don't understand that the plants have seemed to have adequate water (I have watered them on a timer)..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here