Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Pumpkin Seeds & cross pollination

Posted by 9helley 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 1:13

I went to a local u pick pumpkin patch this year and picked jarrahdale, Lumina, Long Island Cheese, Cinderella, Lil Pump-Ke-Mon, Lil Orange, Baby Boo & Munchkin pumpkins.

They also grew Galeux d'Eysines, Howdens, winter guords in their 3 acre patch.

Can I save the seeds and use them for my next years whole front yard pumpkin patch? Or is it even worth it because of cross pollination?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Pumpkin Seeds & cross pollination

Those varieties represent three different species, so some will probably come true (long Island cheese, C. moschata) while others will be a mix. That should not matter much in a big mixed patch, could be cool.

o

9helley -- I love the idea of a whole front yard pumpkin patch. Are you in the suburbs? Even better :)

I have always heard that squash is so promiscuous that it's better to get "true" seeds. BUT it sounds like it could be a fun experiment. And how could you eat that many pumpkins anyway? They'll look great, (and interesting) and then you can just cook the ones that taste good.

Elisa, planning to wrestle a huge (can't pick it up alone) Musque De Provence pumpkin into frozen and canned submission today.

o

As already mention some will breed true but most will not. That's fine as long as you don't sell them as true breed or trade the seeds as true breed. The F2 will be even more crossed.

So is it worth it? All depends on how you plan to use them. For personal use - great. For sale or trade - not so great.

Dave

o

mmm some say some won't cross pollinate, me i dunno? so i'll leave that one alone, pumpkins are noted for cross pollinating and you never know when it has happened until you keep and grow from your own seed.

X-s can be good fruit but have had some that are only good for wood carving unless you like pumpkin soup.

i would say if you want to grow a particular pumpkin then source known heirloom seeds open pollinated. from planting to picking is a long gap if picked only when ripe.

i have kent/jap and queensland blue's growing together (they are about the best eating)haven't decided what i am going to do about next seasons plantings as yet, a bit of effort paper bagging coming female and male flowers so i can hand pollinate then bag the female again until the next day.

anyhow give them a try.

a ripe pumpkin is great eating

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here