Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenup01

Newbie has limp lettuce

Greenup01
10 years ago

Hi - I'm new to both container gardening (right now indoors) and vegetable gardening. I'm experimenting with lettuces and tomatoes, hoping to find easy varieties I can grow indoors.

I have baby mesclun and lollo rosso growing in a plastic container approx 18"L x 6"W x 6"D. Plants are now about 5" tall, fairly compact and I just harvested a few leaves off each. The leaves are very limp. I've investigated damping off and that doesn't seem to be happening. The stems are upright and strong enough to keep the leaves out of the potting mix.

Mix is some organic Gardener's Supply self-watering mix + a little Miracle Gro regular planting mix (20%?), because they aren't in self-watering containers. The lighting is T5 4' grow lights, about 4" away, approx 12 hrs. per day.

(I also have a little kale in the same container, same conditions, that is doing a little better. Leaves are really starting to look kale-like and are less limp.)

I don't know if the limp leaves are due to bad gardening, the lettuce variety, or what. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

The depth of your container is 6" and your plants are now about 5" tall, then I'd assume that they would be suffocated every time you water 'cause the container is too shallow. I would really recommend reading about perched water level in a container in one of the gardenweb forum to know more about container gardening.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    10 years ago

You indicate you are new to gardening so I'm guessing you may be expecting lettuce to be like purchased romaine or iceberg lettuce. They will not be like that unless you grow those varieties AND grow them to a large size. That is hard to do with a set up like you describe. When young, most greens are soft and tender (limp?) especially if they are grown indoors with no wind or temperature changes to toughen them up. I find buttercrunch and romaine types grown outdoors will get a little crunch when they aren't too big, but they aren't crisp until they are larger. Other varieties, such as Black-seeded Simpson, I would never consider crisp at any size.

Maybe I'm guessing wrong here. If your leaves are much limper than the baby greens sold in stores there may be other problems. The container gardening forum may give you some suggestions and ideas. A few things I would suggest are running a fan near the plants, moving them to within an inch or two of the lights, and trying different varieties. You should be able to grow baby mesclun/lettuce in your shallow containers if they have drain holes and you don't over or under water. Also, I'd stay away from the moisture control mix. I find it difficult to keep that from being too wet much of the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container gardening

• Greenup01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for responding. Ceth_k, I admit to having read quite a lot about container gardening, and never come across "perched water." Mostly I was interested in the 5-gallon self-watering buckets, though, and it appears those are tall enough so as possibly not having the problem. This is something I'll have to test for. I have incorporated naturegirl's suggestions. Thanks again,
    Dona

• runswithscissors
    10 years ago

This may sound silly, but my container lettuce "wilts" when it needs watered. My lettuce likes lots of water, but will rot easily at the same time. So I added a bunch of perilite to the potting mix and then I just water away if the lettuce starts to droop. No rotting (or damping off of the baby sprouts). Plus my lettuce likes it kinda cool. When the sun comes out and warms up the greenhouse too much, the leaves wilt, but spring back up during the night. My lettuce is in 4.5" pots and it doesn't seem too shallow at all.

You can also try swiss chard, bok choi, and beets (for the greens) and celery (plant a bundle in a pot right from the store to make leaves and new stalks as you harvest). I've been able to make several salads so far this winter with this combo.