Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
inconsistant brocolli heads??

Posted by dan_nz_gardener none (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 2:45

hey all

Im real tired of hit and miss with brocolli heads. I'v been vege gardening for years and cant figure this out, no matter what time of year, spring summer autumn winter sometimes i get lovely big heads, others they start heading prematurely and i end up with a 50mm head. My soil is consistant and top quality, always adding compost etc, everything else i grow flourishes. The small heads are on healthy dark green plants so its not like the plants are struggling.
Iat the beggining of spring i grew a lovely batch of brocolli but the next batch all produces tiny heads nit worth harvesting.

Uf anyone can shed some light on this i would be very gratefull.

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: inconsistant brocolli heads??

I would be interested in what other have to say about this. Like you the rest of the garden flourishes but I always get small heads on my broccoli. I have tried different areas of the garden, etc but always the same results. I always have enough to put up in the freezer, but can't get really big heads out of the plant.

o

Well, I have gotten some huge and very tender heads.
I live in East Central Indiana. I grow both spring broccoli and fall broccoli and fall cauliflower. One recently picked head of cauliflower may have been 10 inches across.

Timing of seed sowing is critical to good success. I sow spring broccoli about the 17th of March inside and take them outside as much as possible. Then I set them out in the garden after about 26 days. If it gets extra cold a night or two before the roots are established in the soil, cover them overnight. They only rarely need that..
I sow cauliflower seeds in plastic pots out on the picnic table about June 16th...and perhaps 3 or 4 broccoli. On about July 5th I sow more broccoli and perhaps a few more about the 12th. I set these out in the garden after about 26 days while they are smallish [important] and water well if needed for as long as needed [very important].

I sow Emerald Crown and Imperial broccoli [Stokes Seeds] and Symphony cauliflower [Fedco] and perhaps a couple early Snow Crowns.

Broccoli and cauliflower are sweetish soil lovers. I don't have worm trouble in the spring, but have to keep them off in the fall.

o

Dan, it would help to know what zone you are in and what the weather's like. That really has a big influence on your crop.

o

Im in wanganui new zealand, sorry i dont know how that works out with zones, very temperate climate, i have a full garden all year round, as i said i cant find any pattern, it doesnt matter which time of year it is or how hot/cold its brocolli roulette if ill get a crop or not.

o

Broccoli needs to mature in cool and moist weather for nice big tender heads. Here October is best.

o
RE: inconsistant brocolli heads?

Here you go -- Growing broccoli in New Zealand

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing broccoli in New Zealand

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here