Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I want to grow the right pepperoncini..

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 6:53

just like the pepperoncini you buy pickled. What pepper should I grow, and does anyone have a recipe for pickling them so they taste like the ones you buy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I want to grow the right pepperoncini..

Last summer there was a good discussion of pickling peppers in the Harvest forum. Lots of people say the key to like store-bought is a product called pickle crisp.

Using a banana pepper you can cut into rings is more practical than trying to grow a bunch of little peppers for a batch of pickles. Sweet Banana and Hot Hungarian Wax are often used for this, depending on whether you want them sweet or hot. I love pickled peppers, too!

o

I am confused by your question, pepperoncini is the name of the actual pepper. To get a pickled pepperoncini you grow pepperoncini and pickle them. If you are asking which variety of pepperoncini is used in the product you bought, I can't help you, but you could try to get the seeds out of the pickled product and see if they germinate. Some might germinate.

o

There is no one right variety. The variety used to make the store bought ones all depends on the brand you buy. Some use Tuscan peppers, some use Greek Sweets, some use Italian Sweets, etc.

The most common variety used is probably the Italian Sweet and seeds are available from several sources.

How to best pickle them is a Harvest forum question and as mentioned above, discussed in great detail there.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian Pepperoncini seeds

o

I got 2 pepperoncini plants that are really productive. Mine is a Greek Variety. They start out green then get a subtle yellow, then ripen to red. I also have a Hot Cherry pepper plant that I pick and often mix in with the pepperoncinis. I make a brine something like 3 cups water, 2 cups white vinegar, and a tablespoon of salt. I also simmer this with crushed garlic. My pickles come out a little softer than store bought but the flavor is great.

o

I have grown the Greek Golden Pepperonicini....very productive but I don't "pickle"

Want some free seeds?.....you have mail.......doug

o

Thanks for all the replies.
Planatus--I do pickle banana pepper rings, but the taste is nothing like store bought pepperoncinis. Also, please run the recipe you posted by the Harvest forum. I think it's unsafe. My understanding is that for vinegar based pickles to be safe, you must use a minimum of equal amounts of vinegar and water.

Looks like there is a lot of disagreement on which is the "right" pepper to grow.

o

I got the recipe out of Ball canning book plus I have eaten many pickles with this ratio and never got sick.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here