Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've Been Reading the Weather Wrong

Posted by goldenecho z8 (Waco TX) (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 8:44

I've been looking at TONIGHT's low to decide whether to cover things, when really I should have been looking at TOMORROOWS low too. Why? Cause 2:00 in the morning is officially tomorrow...and lowest temps are liklier to happen AFTER midnight, not before it. Why did I never realize this until now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've Been Reading the Weather Wrong

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 9:05

I've thought this always been reported backwards. When the high and low temperature for a day are reported it is always listed as highF/lowF when it should be listed as lowF/highF because the low usually happens first.

Sometimes in Texas, a few days a year, the high occurs at midnight and the low later in the day. But this is only when an arctic front blasts through.

o

No you had it right the first time, the low comes after the high and into the next day. The low for tonight includes tomorrow morning. Maybe if your state successfully secedes and establishes a new government it can be changed.

o

The coldest time of the day is around sunrise because of the radiation effect of the Sun on the cooler ground.

o

NOAA weather radio usually reports the climate summary for the day and they always give high first and low second. High is almost always today sometime while the sun is up, while low is almost always between midnight and sun rise (last night, early AM). Unless we're getting cooler throughout the day, when early tomorrow morning, they give "yesterday's" climate summary, that time for the low might change from whenever it was (the previous last night) to a new time before midnight "yesterday".

This is why we need weather stations at home so we can all track high's and low's like we want to. :-)

Our local weather folks do a pretty good job of predicting really cold weatherfor the period between sunset "today" and sun rise "tomorrow".

o

This is why we need weather stations at home so we can all track high's and low's like we want to. :-)

There are many, many of those Personal Weather Stations (PWS) that upload to the interenet. Google ~ PWS ''yourtown, st" ~ and start clicking. Find one near you with "daily record" or "archive" or some such in a small box somewhere, click that and bookmark it.

o

or go to weather underground (wunderground.com) and scroll all the way down once you go to your zip code.

o

Just get the hourly graph for your location from the noaa. A lot of time the duration of cold (or combination with humidity - frost) is more important than the absolute low anyways.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.19750&lon=-80.8345&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=graphical

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here