Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsun9

What Can You Grow Indoors Over Winter?

I plant just garlic for garlic green in pots. What else can I plant indoors? Garlic chives? else?

Comments (18)

• glib
    9 years ago

I grow sunflower, buckwheat and pea shoots in trays by a sunny window (time from seed to crop:10-14 days). Alfalfa and fenugreek sprouts in jars (TFSTC: 7-10 days). You need quite a bit of soil stored in the garage to grow in trays through the winter.

But I also freeze tens of pounds of greens for soup, specially those greens that do not do well as potherb (turnip and daikon greens). That is probably 1/3 my green winter intake, with 1/3 shoots/sprouts and 1/3 collards in hoop houses.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

Late last winter just for fun I planted a windowbox-type planter inside with mixed leaf lettuce, Swiss chard (Bright Lights) and lettuce leaf and nufar basil. It all came up and I put it in front of our south-facing patio door. I used on it for the rest of the winter, then the lettuce and basil got "icky" so I tossed them. The chard I went ahead and planted outside and guess what - we are STILL eating off of it!! So i'm going to do the same this year. WOOHOO!!
    Edie

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Here is a link to the same question from a few days back that already has lots of info.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: What can be grown indoors over winter discussion

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Glib, where do you get affordable pea seed?

• glib
    9 years ago

I found them cheap on bulkfoods.com, but I have not tried them yet (the garden is teeming with greens right now). If you can wait 4 days I will let you know if they sprout properly (surely they will). Sunflower seeds I get from the pets store (as bird seed), about $0.45/lb, and shelled buckwheat from my food coop. Both sprout nicely. the same site had excellent prices for fenugreek and alfalfa, I got all three.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Thanks, an update would be appreciated. This thread has made me think of a good use for my 2013 beans.

• DrGreenThumb31
    9 years ago

hey grows im a first time gardener and i want to go all organic, i just bought some organic soil (OMRI) approved and i want to grow tomatoes, kale, peppers, just for starters. i know i can grow tomatoes indoors until the frost season is over however, i want to know how to mix soil and if i need to mix fertilizer with the soil?? the soil i bought is Ancient Forest Humus.My question is do i mix soil with fertilizer and can i grown peppers and kale indoors???

• chaman
    9 years ago

Get one sprouter and you be able to grow plenty of greens like Alfafa etc.

• DrGreenThumb31
    9 years ago

can anyone help out???

• DrGreenThumb31
    9 years ago

can anyone help out???

• glib
    9 years ago

kale maybe, peppers no. not enough light and too cold.

• glib
    9 years ago

Pat, the peas sprouted fine (at least 22 out of 23). They are green peas. They also sell yellow peas.

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Thanks glib.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

I guess I'm about to try my first experiment with peas indoors :( as they are not even a foot tall (they are in a pot) and the weather is going to turn horrendous starting this evening. Oy. Guess I should have decided a month earlier to grow a fall crop!
    Edie

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

Don't know how the duplicate happened... sorry

This post was edited by ediej1209 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 11:52

• chaman
    9 years ago

Well, I sowed peas in my garden for spring harvesting which are already germinated and sprouts are about an inch tall.My curiosity is if they will survive winter snow or not.This is my first experiment of planting peas.
    Please share if you have any experience about this.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

I haven't had very good luck with overwintering peas personally Chaman.

I can plant pre-sprouted seeds in the spring and they outgrow the over wintered.

But peas are hard to grow here anyway. When it gets warm enough for them to grow it gets too hot, too quick.

I threaten to give up every year, but then I try again. If the weather cooperates so that I get plenty I'm so happy!

But that only happens about every 4 or 5 years!

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

Peas can overwinter in 7z, I know for certain. Austrian winter pea, off course, but I have also fall-sown more typical ones (seed harvested from hybrid sugar snap) and most plants overwintered easily.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County