Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanriowa

Prolific Zucchini Recommendations

deanriowa
15 years ago

Last coupler of years I have grown Coczelle, Dark Green, and Early Prolific Straightneck zucchini squash. The Early Prolific Straightneck was a very prolific yellow squash and is a keepers however the Dark Green and Coczelle have been a disappointment in production.

Any recommendations on a more prolific green zucchini squash?

thanks,

Dean

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Try Black Beauty. Very high production for us.

Dave

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Most of the modern zucchini are pretty prolific. Among Op's the dark green Black, Black Beauty, the light green Grey is an excellent producer. The hybrids of course are major producers. Emerald Jade is a very good dark green hybrid but all of them are good producers. Among the round zukes, Cue Ball has been my best producer.
    {{gwi:118290}}
    {{gwi:118291}}
    href="http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/farmerdill/?action=view&current=cueball3.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:63161}}

• cabrita
    15 years ago

The one that would not quit on us looks like the second one on Farmer dills post and I think it was called 'black beauty'. I was very impressed with this variety, it got very large before the seeds were noticeable or the skin was a bother. We are so impressed with it that we are saving the last one for seed. We probably will get enough seed to share, but my zone is so much warmer, so this might not work the same for you.

• digit
    15 years ago

Dean, any idea why you had less than prolific green zukes those 2 years? You may have a few gardeners scratching their heads about a need for more prolific zucchini.

I have had good luck with Dark Green over a few years even when mildew slowed others down, or did worse. This year with a cool Spring, Dark Green didn't do so well.

Aristocrat was in my garden going way back to the '70's and it never had much trouble producing a good crop.

Mildew is the bane of the zucchini in my garden. Black Beauty has been "ripped to shreds" by it. Elite didn't fare much better when I decided to try "something new." I do see that Harris has a new "Reward" which is supposed to have "intermediate resistance" to PM.

Hope spring eternal but sticking with Aristocrat also will provide some insurance. As well, planting a late crop can give me a harvest just as the older plants begin to fail. It has worked well to plant between the early cabbage in late June so that the squash can take over the space after the cabbage is harvested.

The youth and vitality of the plants protects them for a few weeks of production before frost put an end to things.

Steve

• thefarmguy
    15 years ago

yes also have had good luck with the black beauty, the op romanesco has done well and produces great fruit... this cool year, the hybreds payroll and bobcat that were well spaced were steady right into the fall weather. always fun to find one better....zuc on

• deanriowa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My zucchini has produced some, but in no great numbers. The plants are usually big, but not usually lots of blossoms.

I was looking for a green version of zucchini that produces like the yellow "Early Prolific Straightneck", it was amazing how much they produced.

I planted the 'Dark Green" in two different gardens and I was getting some zucchini, but I am looking for something that was a little heavy producer.

thanks,
    Dean