Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why does Cauliflower turn purple?

Posted by marial1214 Z 6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 07 at 9:38

Some of my fall cauliflower are forming really nice heads. One of them is turning purple. I have seen this on last year's crop too. What causes that?

Is it supposed to do that? Is it good to eat like that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why does Cauliflower turn purple?

You are growing white cauliflower and tying up the heads to blanch them, right. If you are in an area with strong sun, it will cause the heads to color. From The U of Wisconsin: "Some cauliflower varieties have a genetic propensity to having a higher concentration of red, purple, or blue pigments. This is the same harmless, water soluble pigment found in eggplant, red cabbage, berries, plums and grapes. In other types of cauliflower the colorless or white pigments will predominate. Purpling can develop in white varieties of cauliflower if the heads are exposed to light while developing. Usually, the leaves are tied over the heads.

If the cauliflower has a lot of purpling it is probably best to use it raw for relishes or salads. Heat may induce a color change from purple to gray or slate blue--especially if the water is hard or had an alkaline pH. If you prefer to have cooked cauliflower add a little vinegar or cream of tartar (tartaric acid) to the water."

o

Thanks, I am late in getting the leaves secured with the rubber bands this year. Thanks for your response.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 12:26

I find that a cloths pin is an easy fix, just clip 3 leaves for shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here