Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I plant vegetables in November? (Norther California)

Posted by container_blueberry (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 10:00

Hello,

Is it too late to plant vegetables in November? If not what types could I plant?

Are leeks still possible?

I live along the coast in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I plant vegetables in November? (Norther California)

Sure you can - lettuce, chives/onions/leeks, swiss chard/spinach, green peas... a lot of fall greens can be planted around this time. I am in south bay and I planted some lettuce and peas over a week ago and they are sprouting now.

o

I'm up in the sierra foothills and we planted last weekend, we planted peas, carrots, 3 types of lettuce, leeks, green onions, radishes, and rainbow chard from seed. We also planted (seedlings that I grew) in the garden which were brocolli, white and purple califlower, brussel sprouts, and blue cabbage. The seedlings are doing great, still waiting on the seeds we sowed but it only been about 4 days since we planted them :)

o

• Posted by tammysf 9b/10a or sz15/16 (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 18, 09 at 18:34

I'm in marin and am growing:

Lettuce
Spinach
Swiss chard
Beets
Peas
Brocolli
Cauliflower
Arugala
Herbs

Here is a link that might be useful: northern california gardening blog

o

This calendar should help. Keep in mind there are a lot of microclimates in this area, so this is just a starting point.

Here is a link that might be useful: planting calendar

o

Thanks promethean: I wanted to plant earlier but had to clean up the beds (rocks) Aug & sept was still hot, upper 90's and 100. I wished I knew what the weather is going to do, lol Part of gardening :)

o

I go to the Bassagnani nursery classes in Sebastopol and they reccomend planting most seeds while the soil is still warm. In our area late Aug or Sept. Some, like carrots and spinach won't germinate til it's cold.
I usually plant starts in early Sept and keep them shaded if it's too hot.
I haven't planted by seed this late in the year, so can't help you with that. Most winter things should be OK planted as starts. They may not "sprout" til early spring, though.

o

I would start things inside at this time of year. Once you have the seedlings though, they should do fine outdoors in your area. I planted broccoli and other cole crops in January when I lived in Bakersfield. They would grow slowly but did just fine.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 17:58

I have to disagree with the two previous posters. I never had any trouble germinating cole, root or leafy veggies at this time of years outdoors when I lived in Bolinas and Oakland.

o

I tried planting cole crops in august/september, but birds ate every little sprout and didn't stop until the rains came and sprouts were everywhere. If you want to start early it's probably best to start in flats with protection rather than try to direct sow (unless you have row covers).

o

Up at the top of the gardenweb page is a list of "new to the gardenweb" sites. There is a FAQ for winter sowing. Check it out.
I was just telling you what was suggested to me in my last post. As I said, I don't do a lot of seed planting, usually starts.
Good luck! NT

o

I'm down the coast from you and I'm planting:

sugar snap peas
chard
lettuce
collard greens
brussel sprouts
carrots
broccoli
cauliflower
bok choy
beets
potatoes
onions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here