Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickemery_gw

Moving my garden...

MickEmery
10 years ago

If everything works out, we will be moving in Feb. I'm going to take my garlic (planted in Oct.), asparagus (3 yr old crowns) & horseradish plants. They are in raised beds.

Any advice on how to dig/store them until I can get them in the ground in spring?

Thanks,
Mick

Comments (5)

• Persimmons
    10 years ago

I watched a video once that talked about storing horseradish roots in the refrigerator, almost as if you were forcing them into "winter" hibernation. Store them as you would any other root veggie (like carrots or parsnips) by keeping them in a perforated plastic bag.

I would say that garlic is a lost cause to move; the point of planting it in the fall is so it will establish a root system and overwinter for the spring time. You could leave the garlic as a surprise to the people who move in?

I'm unsure with asparagus crowns :L Sorry.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    10 years ago

Carefully dig around the garlic so you do not disturb any roots that have already formed and put several into a large bucket along with the attached soil. Keep moist and in a cool place until you can replant. In my climate, the garage would work. The refrigerator might, too. Of course, if your raised beds are extensive, this may not be practical. They should survive, but will suffer some set back from the move.

I'm not sure if your asparagus is newly planted 3 year old crowns (not sure they even sell those) or if it has been in place 3 years. If it's newly planted you can dig it up fairly easily. If it's been growing for 3 years in this location you should plan on a vigorous workout as the roots will be far reaching and well anchored. I dug up an established bed 5 years ago and don't know if my AARP body could handle digging older crowns now :( It can be difficult to avoid breaking off a lot of the roots and causing damage to them. However, most will grow okay, just don't expect them to be like they were before until they have at least a year in their new home.

Asparagus roots/crowns should also be stored in a cool place until planting. No need to keep much soil on them. Keep the crowns from drying out by placing them in a perforated plastic bag or cover some other way that keeps them from drying, yet doesn't promote molding.

Will you gain much plant maturity by moving what you have over planting new stock? Probably some, but the plants will be set back by the move. But you will have the varieties you picked out and will save the cost of buying new. If your raised beds have loose soil and you like digging, then definitely go for it!

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can move your garlic. It is tough stuff, very similar to onions, which get grown from seed then yanked out and shipped all over the country in little bundles that are quite dry. Horseradish is also pretty indestructable, we've started many new plants with just the crown or even part of a crown. You've already been given advice on how to store those until planting. Also, it might not be too late and you could just order some more garlic now and plant as soon as you see the daffodils coming up in the spring. I had to spring plant my garlic one year and it did fine.

• MickEmery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for replying! I really like the garlic I planted. Cloves from last year, so I'm going to try to salvage them. The soil in the raised beds is quite loose so it shouldn't be too difficult.

The asparagus were 3 yr old crowns when I bought them. (just this year) 50 crowns cost me $180.! They're coming with me!!!
    I bought 3 yr crowns, because at my age...I don't want to wait 3-4 yrs to harvest. LOL!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Let me tell you this : IT WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT to kill any member of the alliums during transplant. Just for an example, look at the onion seedlings that they sell in the spring planting time. They have been already pulled out for weeks and poorly kept. So you buy them plant them .. Voilla !!