Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hothabanerolady

Grading the 2013 Garden

HotHabaneroLady
10 years ago

My grades for myself in terms of productivity and quality of what I grew. Most of my plants this year were in containers, which may have affected some of the grades. I'm curious how well others did or whether they can help me improve some of my lower grades.

Tomatoes (Bistro Hybrid): C+
They produced pretty prolifically, but the variety was not a good choice. They were smaller than I had realized, so I should have paid more attention. They had a really unique texture that was almost crispy and I took to eating them right off the vine like an apple. But the taste was also not the greatest. Next year I plan on doubling the space allotted to tomatoes and putting in two different heirloom varieties.

Orange habanero peppers: A
These were my best crop of the year! They started slow, which is normal, and now they just can't be stopped! I'm over wintering most of them inside my home and they still full of vigor and determined to continue producing more peppers despite the short days and the chill in the air! My only problem is that the more of these I plant, the more of them I use. So I had ten plants this year and that still was not enough. So I will grow next year by adding more varieties.

Bell peppers: B
I grew only two plants: one red knight and one King Arthur bell. They are both good producers, but the peppers are smallish. It probably does not help that I initially decided not to grow any sweet bells tis year and then, very late in the season, changed my mind and decided to grow these two. Next year I will probably grow about 6-8 more bells. I am thinking California Wonder, but I'd like to find some other good heirloom because everyone seems to grow that!

Strawberries (ozark beauties): B
I only planted four to start. They produced pretty well, but the harvest was hampered by the fact that I allowed them to send out lots of runners and just guided them to take root where I wanted them. Letting them reproduce will, over time, produce more of a strawberry patch and I think this is a more fun way to do it than buying and planting more. Plus it costs less. Not that the plants are super pricy.

Peaches & apples: Incomplete
I added them for the first time this year. They produced no fruit. But it's their first year so I'm not surprised. I hope they produce next year.

Spinach & arugula: F
I had a hard time getting them started as a fall crop. They would start well, but then suddenly it would get to 95 degrees outside. The seedlings would either roast outside or come inside where they seemed to not like the light. Will try again in the spring.

Herbs: A-
The only herb that did not do well was cilantro. I transplanted it. Yes, I know cilantro doesn't like transplanting. It didn't. But my basil, oregano, dill, stevia, sage, and thyme all thrived. I plan on growing more of the hot spicy oregano as a companion plant for some of my other plants next year. I'm thinking about growing more thyme as well. And definitely more dill!

Angie

Comments (8)

• soilent_green
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I rate my 2013 growing season and resulting harvests as generally average to slightly below average: C to C-. Weather was unseasonably cool and wet through June and then hot, dry and droughty from mid July through September. Deer browsing issues early in the season negatively affected tender bean, cowpea, and root vegetable seedlings in non-fenced gardens. Raccoon issues were minimal after years of serious problems because I was finally able to bring their population under control (this will require constant vigilance on my part). Weeds were terrible. Insect and disease problems were minimal. Tomato late blight was almost nonexistent this year, which only rarely happens. Two disappointing issues were having to deal with CPB for the first time ever, and finding Asian SWD in the raspberries for the first time. SWD was found in my county for the first time only last year, approximately five miles from my location. Late spring frosts ruined the fruit tree blossoms. The first fall frost occurred on October 18, much later than the average.

In all my gardening experiences, standout crops (which I would give an "A") are generally as uncommon and rare as total crop failures ("F"). I am thrilled to get crops rated "B" which means above average quality or yield or both. I consider "C" to be average. After gardening for 40 years I have come to really appreciate "average". "Average" is the comfort zone. "Average" has fed the family for three generations going on four. I am completely satisfied with getting average crops and always consider it an accomplishment because I have experienced below-average years and they are a tough thing for a gardener and food provider. Empty spaces on the canning shelves going into the winter season are a scary sight to behold when one is counting on this food supply. My point to new gardeners is that there will be successes and failures every year, and it will be different every year. Be happy with average gardening success as it relates to your growing bank of gardening knowledge and experience, but always be trying to improve, and enjoy the occasional standout or bumper and appreciate it for what it is.

My Report Card
    Beefsteak Tomatoes: D
    Paste Tomatoes: C
    Hot Peppers: A
    Sweet Non Bell Peppers: B
    Sweet Bell Peppers: C
    Eggplant: C

Cabbage: B
    Chinese Cabbage: F
    Kohlrabi: A
    Broccoli: C
    Cauliflower: D
    Brussels Sprouts: F
    Kale: B
    Collards: C

Spinach: A
    Lettuce: B
    Shell Peas: B
    Snow Peas: A
    Radishes: C

Carrots: C
    Beets: D
    Turnips: C
    Rutabaga: F
    Parsnips: A
    Parsley Root: C
    Celeriac: C
    Sugar Beet: D
    Mangel: C

Zucchini: D
    Cucumbers: C
    Winter Squash: D
    Dry Beans: D
    Bush Snap Beans: B
    Pole Beans: D
    Cowpeas: D

Potatoes: B
    Onions: B
    Multiplier Onions: C
    Bunching Onions: C
    Shallots: C
    Garlic: C
    Leek: B

Celery: B
    Herbs: C
    Asparagus: B

Wheat/Spelt/Triticale: C
    Oats: C
    Barley: C
    Rye: F
    Oilseed Radish: B
    Amaranth: C
    Sorghum: C

Rhubarb: C
    Currants: B
    Strawberries: F
    Raspberries: C
    Grapes: B
    Bush Cherries: D
    Tree Fruits: F

Happy Holidays, wishing all a successful and satisfying 2014 gardening season.
    -Tom

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Angie - peaches are precocious and may well fruit next year. It might be best for your apple if it didn't.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    10 years ago

C minus is my overall garden grade.
    Too much rain and prolonged periods of wet plants led to diseases taking hold and reducing veggie production. This was esp true for the tomatoes as all plants died off about 2 months earlier than usual. The only A would be awarded to our Blueberries which for the first time produced more than we could pick.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I feel very Montessorri, I wouldn't know how to apply a grade to the garden. Even crops that fail to produce teach me valuable things about growing. And would I be grading the garden or myself (or the weather)? Overall, I am happy with the garden this year. Things that did well out-produced my ability to keep up with harvest and distribution. Things that did less well all did so for reasons I understand and either could not affect (like rain on the melons) or were a result of an experiment or easily indentified action (inaction?) by me. My biggest success was that a couple of years of diligence in weed removal coupled with better mulching practice greatly reduced my labor during the hottest months. Next year's focus will likely be how to improve rodent control.

I would probably give every year an A just because I like gardening so much, anyway. :)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

My point to new gardeners is that there will be successes and failures every year, and it will be different every year. Be happy with average gardening success as it relates to your growing bank of gardening knowledge and experience, but always be trying to improve, and enjoy the occasional standout or bumper and appreciate it for what it is.

Strikes me as a good philosophy of life. If you asked me on July 4th weekend, I would have given my garden an A. Years of learning and hard work led to my best effort ever. I had tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants and peppers close to harvesting. Then, that weekend my husband had a serious accident that put him in the ICU for two weeks and required me to take a leave from my job to care for him. I completely ignored my garden for almost a month. Although I gave some things away, I ended up composting most of my harvest. Fortunately, unseasonable rain and a kind neighbor kept things partially watered. Amazingly, by the end of the summer, my husband was well on his way to full recovery, and on Labor Day, I was able to feed us from the dwindling bounty my garden was still producing. And I am full of gratitude for that.

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

I would give my okras an A, they were extremely prolific this year. My yard long bean would get a C as they were a bit disappointing, partly due to fertilizing and watering mistakes I made.

• HotHabaneroLady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm wondering why it might be best for my apple trees not to flower. This is the first time I've planted them, although I have had pre-existing apple trees in other places that I've lived.

I'm loving the chance to hear from others. It's giving my more ideas for next year!

Angie

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Flowering is OK, but fruiting can cause the tree to divert its energy from growing strong healthy scaffolds and branches that will support lifelong fruiting. And the first season or so that the tree does fruit, it should be thinned so it doesn't overbear.

You might consider visiting the Fruits and Orchards forum here, where a group of very experienced growers often discuss these issues.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath