Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Jerusalem artichoke harvest

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

These are from 4 tubers that I put in my garden this past spring... Look how many I got now... I got more than I expected in quantity and size...

Jerusalem artichoke is very easy to grow, no pest problem, also has sunflower like blossom at end of the summer. They can be cooked like potatoes, don't contain a lot of starch so it is perfect for someone who is in diet.

Comments (13)

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

If they fetched as much as heirloom tomatoes I'd be rich, the plant is a total weed in this climate. Had some steamed last night, experienced whopping gas, just so ya know....

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

If your soil doesn't freeze they keep better in the ground and pulled as required. Unless kept in a plastic bag in the fridge or in damp earth they shrivel up pretty fast after harvest.

You will have them for ever now, so I hope you like them. I do, but only in small quantities for the reason pnbrown mentioned.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

The native americans must have had methods for reducing the digestion problem or else their guts were better-adapted, or maybe both....

• glib
    11 years ago

Yes, this is one food that they will not send up in a space mission. South Korea may be out of the International Space Station over their insistence to bring kimchi aboard. Alas, there is always Beano.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    11 years ago

I've found that the best time to plant jerusalem artichokes is right after you dig them up in the fall. That way they're able to sprout first thing in Spring. I plant them in the same spot every year, after adding compost, just in case there are any volunteers. The earlier you can plant them and the richer the soil, the more 'chokes you'll be able to harvest.

Also, after digging them up, rinsing excess dirt off (no scrubbing of any kind), and letting the surface moisture dry, I've found that I can keep them fresh and crisp inside a closed bag in an unheated garage until at least March. Sometimes later if the weather doesn't warm up too fast.

And it's already been mentioned several times, but I wouldn't eat a lot of them at one time. At least not until your body gets kinda used to them. They give you terrible gas.

Rodney

• chervil2
    11 years ago

Inulin is the cause of the gas and is also the carbohydrate that makes them taste sweet. I am very happy with the Stampede variety and eat at least two ounces raw everyday. My body is used to them and I enjoy the crunchy and sweet taste and appreciate the health benefits for managing my hyperglycemia and increasing my fiber intake. I encourage people to start with incorporating small servings into your everyday diet.

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

If one is harvesting them then there is no need to "plant"; you won't find them all so they are already planted.

• jolj
    11 years ago

There are about 12 hybrids sunchokes/JA now.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    11 years ago

pnbrown, not trying to start an argument, but I do need to replant each year. I grow them in 3' x 3' raised beds which prevents them from spreading laterally. Plus I'm a bit obsessive compulsive so I'm very thorough when I dig them up. The last volunteer I had was 2 years ago. With that being said, I completely understand how easily they could spread and become a nuisance (borderline invasive) when planted in open ground, thereby eliminating the need to replant them.

Rodney

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

Got it, I imagine it could be possible to get every little tuber from a small discrete area. Once they get going, as they have in my garden, it's not possible.

• fruitmaven_wiz5
    11 years ago

What an interesting vegetable! I'll need to try that next year (in one of my raised beds so I can get them all out if we don't like it!)

• eskota
    11 years ago

My favorite way to eat these is as coleslaw. Just cut up the tubers and put through a salad shooter, add an onion, carrots, and coleslaw dressing. Makes excellent substitute for cabbage, and much easier to grow.

Never noticed any gas with raw sunchokes.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Just a p.s. Once cut they need to be acidulated or they will go brown. Put them straight into water with a little lemon juice or vinegar if you are not immediately going to cook them or mix them with salad dressing.