Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistyreiny

Desirable seeds

mistyreiny
10 years ago

What seeds do you desire to have? Also can u plz post the seeds you do have?

Comments (5)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Try the Seed Exchange. That's where traders trade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Exchange

• mistyreiny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

K I will look there, however I'm not looking at buying more seeds for myself, I'm looking at producing seed variety packets that have 5 to 8 kinds of seeds in it, that are customizable. I was looking for hot pepper seed variety packs that have 7pot and red savina and the Carolina reaper in it, but don't have ghost nor scorpion, I already have them. Im trying to make a website that allows anybody to create fully custom seed packs. I'm looking for popular seeds I should stock.i didn't say this the first time, I'm looking for seeds that are most likely to be asked for. That way rather than waiting 6to 9months for them to grow, which I'll grow anyway, I can buy the seeds ahead of time to lower package recieval time for the customer.

This post was edited by mistyreiny on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 21:51

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Most seed packets cost about $3.50(+/- 0.50C). These packets have mostly 30 to 50 seeds. But most backyard gardeners need no more than 2 or 3 per variety. Some venders have a combination of 3 vars., that are color coated. That is a better option IF you like the varieties in that packet.
    Generally, the OP/Heirloom varieties are gaining popularity. Most big seed companies like Burpees stay away from Heirloom and push their Hybrids, as there is more money to be made. I think there is a market to sell small packet popular seeds at reasonable price.
    I am personally trying to grow only Heirlooms and stay away from hybrids. This way I can save my seeds and do not have to buy diseased hybrid seedling from big box stores.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Im trying to make a website that allows anybody to create fully custom seed packs. I'm looking for popular seeds I should stock.i didn't say this the first time, I'm looking for seeds that are most likely to be asked for.

That is the same approach used by all seed vending sites - 100s of them - trying to anticipate what the customer will want. They have never been able to anticipate the "wants" because it varies widely from region to region, even customer to customer. So the solution seems to be to focus on only a few specific vegetables like many vendors do - focus on only hot peppers or only open pollinated tomatoes.

With 1000's of varieties of 100's of vegetables you can't be all things to all people. It just isn't possible. And since seeds are viable for many years and many gardeners only buy fresh seeds once every several years your stock could quickly become overwhelming.

Dave

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If you plan to mix varieties in the same packet how do you plan to distinguish them one from another? Separate glassine envelopes would be quite expensive and color coding them isn't an easy process either unless doing hundreds at a time.

Dave

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer