Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fireweed22

Bringing artichoke plants indoors for winter?

fireweed22
11 years ago

I wrote this in yesterday but it disappeared...

Artichokes do not survive here due to the cold and wet of winter. Last spring I planted a bunch in pots in hopes of storing them in the cold but generally frost free garage.

Are there any tricks to overwinter them? I assumed keeping them fairly dry. Thanks.

Comments (2)

• planatus
    11 years ago

I have never overwintered potted artichokes, but have thought about trying. I would treat them like geraniums -- cut off excess growth to a smallish crown, and keep them cool and almost dry through winter. My attempts to overwinter plants outdoors in Zone 7 failed, so I've never tried since moving to Zone 6. I'm considering staring some seedlings indoors in January and chilling them in March to get annual production. Anyone doing that?

• ricjo22
    11 years ago

I grew one plant from a seed I got in trade so I dont even know the type but I grew it in a 5 gal pot all summer. I brought it into my heated garage 42 F and placed it near a small south window without cutting it back. Over the winter it slowly died back till it had only one small new leaf in may but I put it out in the ground sans pot an it grew over the summmer of 2012 to produce 2 purple flowers. I didnt pick them because I wanted to see them in full flower. The plant seemed to die in late summer but before fall a new shoot appeared at the base so I dug it up before the first frost and I am going for a third year. I watered them in winter about once a week and I'll bet if I had a bigger window it would do better. Also this year slugs or something came in with it to eat it up but diatomaceaus earth fixed them. Hope this helps Ric

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County