Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing artichoke plants indoors for winter?

Posted by fireweed22 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 11:00

I wrote this in yesterday but it disappeared...

Artichokes do not survive here due to the cold and wet of winter. Last spring I planted a bunch in pots in hopes of storing them in the cold but generally frost free garage.

Are there any tricks to overwinter them? I assumed keeping them fairly dry. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing artichoke plants indoors for winter?

I have never overwintered potted artichokes, but have thought about trying. I would treat them like geraniums -- cut off excess growth to a smallish crown, and keep them cool and almost dry through winter. My attempts to overwinter plants outdoors in Zone 7 failed, so I've never tried since moving to Zone 6. I'm considering staring some seedlings indoors in January and chilling them in March to get annual production. Anyone doing that?

o
RE: Bringing artichoke plants indoors for winter?

I grew one plant from a seed I got in trade so I dont even know the type but I grew it in a 5 gal pot all summer. I brought it into my heated garage 42 F and placed it near a small south window without cutting it back. Over the winter it slowly died back till it had only one small new leaf in may but I put it out in the ground sans pot an it grew over the summmer of 2012 to produce 2 purple flowers. I didnt pick them because I wanted to see them in full flower. The plant seemed to die in late summer but before fall a new shoot appeared at the base so I dug it up before the first frost and I am going for a third year. I watered them in winter about once a week and I'll bet if I had a bigger window it would do better. Also this year slugs or something came in with it to eat it up but diatomaceaus earth fixed them. Hope this helps Ric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here