Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many seed will one broccoli plant produce?

Posted by boodeeradley Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 11:42

I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much seed (by actual number or weight) that one broccoli plant will produce. I ask because I would like to grow some mainly for seed production. Wanting to grow for seed production because I would like to get into eating broccoli sprouts, but the price of large enough quantities of broccoli seed for the purpose is ridiculous.

So, does anyone know roughly how much average broccoli plant will produce if allowed to go to seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many seed will one broccoli plant produce?

Depends somewhat on the variety. Sprouting varieties generate multiple shoots and more seeds. I would guess 0ne- two ounces per plant

o

• Posted by twc015 7b/8a SE Arkansas (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 25, 10 at 12:44

I let some Brussels sprouts go to seed this year from overwintering, and I got at least ten thousand (10,000) from each plant, though I did not save all of them.

I now have hundreds of Brussels sprouts seedlings coming up where the plants were.

I also let a few broccoli plants flower, but they were regular types and they didn't flower as vigorously as the Brussels sprouts. Only a few of the flower buds opened.

I don't know how the Brussels sprouts seedlings would taste as sprouts like broccoli, but you could have my seeds if you wanted them. They are not much use in growing because I let hybrid and open pollinated plants flower at the same time and didn't isolate them. I don't have room or time to see how these plants will do.

o

If sprouting broccoli produces many more sprouts, it looks like you would want to raise that kind.

Last year I let some hybrid broccoli go to seed and the volunteers made a very thick green crop that fall. So a good side sprouting variety like Castle Dome or Emerald Crown would produce hundreds or perhaps thousands of seed apiece.

o

Average per plant is about 6,000 (4,300 to 9,300) seeds. You will want to save from at least six for diversity.

Depending on the size of the seeds, 10,000 14,000 per ounce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here