Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summertime2006

Kyoto red carrot seeds

summertime2006
16 years ago

I grew kyoto red carrots from Kitazawa seed company last year and I liked the carrots a lot.

It seems Kitazawa only sells packets and I'm looking for more seeds for this season.

Just wondering if anyone knew of any other company that sells kyoto red carrot seeds?

Thanks

Jim

Comments (11)

• jimster
    16 years ago

Not Kyoto Red, but Evergreen Seeds has a couple of red oriental varieties (one is sold out at this time).

Evergreen has one ounce packs, if you can use that much. That's a lot of carrot seed.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Seeds

• summertime2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jim

I looked at the website and if they get anymore of those in for next year I want to try them out.

I grew other red carrots like atomic red and nutra red but I liked these Kyoto red ones the best.

Jim

• digit
    16 years ago

On Kitazawa's home page SummerJim, click the "Get a bulk seed price quote on a seed order of 1/4 pound or more." You'll be requesting an email price quote.

You can also call - phone number is at the very bottom of the page.

Also, information is on the inside of the back cover of their catalog.

Steve

• summertime2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Steve

I saw that on their website and the 1/4 pound of carrot seed would be way way to much for me.

Jim

• digit
    16 years ago

I guess that isn't surprising, Jim. I see that 4 ounces of seed will plant 800 feet of row . . . !

Viability is suppose to be 3 years but that's a lot of carrots in a backyard garden.

Kitazawa might make you a deal on 4 or 5 packets of seed. I can't find them anywhere else on the web.

Steve

• digit
    16 years ago

Jim, what do you think about the Samarai Red? Could this be the Kyoto by another name? (see below)

I don't find it in the US. Thompson & Morgan carries it in their UK catalog as does a number of other seed companies there. Unfortunately, T & M doesn't offer Samarai in their US catalog.

Tozers Seed sells it in various sized packets. If you think this is your carrot, maybe you can work out a deal with T & M, a British gardener, or Tozers.

Steve
    {{gwi:118616}}

• summertime2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow thanks Steve!

That might be the same carrot as Kyoto red. I would have to ask or just grow it.

The atomic red carrots I grew and and the nutra red produced a lot of carrots that were not really red. But Kyoto red had really red carrots with long roots and they tasted really good.

I got the idea reading something Dr. Weil wrote and he grew Kyoto red so I thought I would try them...I'm glad I did they are my favorite now.

For next season I also want to try to get a good purple carrot. I grew some in a rainbow mix this year that were just purple on the skin but orange in the middle...I want to try to get some that are purple are far to the core as possible. I had some purple carrots from the supermarket and they were really good they have a different taste.

Jim

• digit
    16 years ago

Just this evening, Jim:

New Territorial Seed catalog notice - they carry Samurai for 2008.

S

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Samurai

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

I tried Atomic Red Carrots and did not like them very much. Then I tried Kyoto Red and loved them! They are sweet, have a nice texture and they grow great. Kitazawa sells this variety in packets or in 1/4 pound amounts. Here is a picture of mine. This is definitely one of my new favorite varieties. They would be perfect for the market if only my family wouldn't eat them first!

I uploaded some more pictures on my little blog post in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kyoto Red Carrots

• denbenn1956
    5 years ago

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

• farmerdill
    5 years ago

Kyoto Red is an an open pollinated variety. Lots of " heirloom companies selling it, but I only find packets. Samarai Red is listed by some vendors as an F1 hybrid. It is available in larger package sizes at Territorial. Purple 68 is purple all the way. Flavor is different but not particularly appealing to me.